Replacing Licensed FR with FRII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Licensed FR with FRII

I've got a Charvel with a Licensed Jackson Floyd Rose, and I just wanted to upgrade it, give it some better mojo I guess. I believe a Floyd Rose II can fit in it no problem, right? What are thoughts on it? I found one for real cheap and I don't know if thats because they're crumby or if I found a good deal. Give me your inputs on this please?

Here's a shot of my Charvel's floyd
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...harvel/cv3.jpg

Here's the Floyd Rose II I might buy
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ydIIDBLock.jpg

Also it looks like some of the string lock blocks are missing on the one I might buy, can I just slip in the ones from my old license FR? Or is there anywhere I can get new ones? I checked fretsonthenet, but I couldn't find any
    Last edited by vultures; 08-22-2007, 11:26 PM.
    Gear:
    none

A real Floyd will fit in there as well.
    Jackson has used the FR II for a long time (called the JT-590).
    The FR II will look tiny in that trem route and the side may rub a bit.

Pull the JT-580 that you have in there and see if it's made by Takeuchi (sp?).
    If it is, leave it there. It's a decent trem.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      A real Floyd will fit in there as well.
      Jackson has used the FR II for a long time (called the JT-590).
      The FR II will look tiny in that trem route and the side may rub a bit.

Pull the JT-580 that you have in there and see if it's made by Takeuchi (sp?).
      If it is, leave it there. It's a decent trem.
      it says "$ TAKEUCHI made in japan" on it. So I guess I'll keep it then
      Gear:
      none

Comment

Originally posted by vultures View Post
        it says "$ TAKEUCHI made in japan" on it. So I guess I'll keep it then
        I have a Takeuchi and it is a great trem. Mine has lasted 15 years and is still in great shape. Clean it up and aside form minor rust on the locking screws, you could pass it off as something you bought last year.

Comment

When I took all the strings and stuff out the string lock blocks fell out and I don't know which way they're suppost to go back in. This is my first floyd rose tremolo and I don't know which way they go in, anyone got any online stuff or info?
          Gear:
          none

Comment

If there is not a problem with it why change it?
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              If there is not a problem with it why change it?
              Eh, it's a cheap guitar, and I won't be able to get any other guitars for quite some time (college costs), so I wanted to upgrade it and give it a feel of a more expensive top of the line kinda guitar. Know what I mean? Plus the Floyd Rose II I was looking at is only $30..
              Gear:
              none

Comment

I have always liked the Floyd Rose branded FRII. They're pretty decent and much like the Schaller made JT-590S. But if you want a real upgrade go with a real Floyd with a short block (long block will stick out of the trem cavity). A real Floyd is supposed to drop right in the JT-580 opening on your guitar, but check to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by vultures View Post
                  When I took all the strings and stuff out the string lock blocks fell out and I don't know which way they're suppost to go back in. This is my first floyd rose tremolo and I don't know which way they go in, anyone got any online stuff or info?
                  The blocks have a dimple on them. That dimple faces the back of the trem.
                  The string lock screw head goes into it.
                  The smooth side touches the string.

Keep the Takeuchi. The FR II will look odd in the JT580 route.
                  -Rick

Comment

Go for it!
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
                    X