preamps and poweramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preamps and poweramps

Ive been thinking about some new gear choices i could make, in the past couple months or so, and im probably going for a new head. I was thinking of going rack, but i have a question about that. Right now, id be able to afford just a preamp. Do I need to buy a power amp if i want to run a preamp, or can i just plug it into an outlet? If so, why is a poweramp needed? Thanks

Re: preamps and poweramps

You need a power amp for driving your speakers. A preamp shapes your sound and a power amp drives your speakers.

Preamp + power amp = top/head.

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Well, if you just want to jam in your room.. you can just get one with a headphone jack. You can probably jury rig it to run it thru a receiver as well.

Comment

Oh yea that makes sense.. My dad has a huge as sterio as well. hmm... Specifically look at the mesa recto recording preamp. How would i rig that to go to a reciever? Would i just need some rca adapters and such? Would the sound be noticeably worse if i dont run it with a power amp and a guitar cab?

Comment

Running through your dad's stereo isn't a good idea. I blew out three sets of my dad's speakers before he threatened to sell my guitar to pay for it.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

LOL - I used to run my guitar through my parent's stereo back in the 80s. Their tape deck had this variable gain control that went to 20 but would start to break up at ~10 or so and it got this killer solid state distortion sound with a guitar plugged into the input and the gain cranked to 20. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

1/4" to RCA to run from the preamp out to the receiver in. Then RCA to 1/4" if you run into a speaker cab from the receiver out. Make sure the outs on the receiver match ohmage to your speaker cab and if you make these cords, use lamp wire or a 16 gauge speaker wire, but they should carry such cords at any major online music outlet like Musicians Friend or AMS.

I seem to recall I used to plug directly into a cheap Telex stereo or some Wards crap that was free for the taking or use my Rockman to record ideas direct into the deck with the receiver used as a power amp.

Comment

YOu can run it into a stereo if you keep the output on the preamp quite low. The inputs on a receiver are not designed to carry that high of a level (line level). I suppose you could use a line out or recording output if the preamp has one, since they are made to go directly into a PA or recording console. Otherwise, you could hook up a set of pwered monitors (like computer speakers) to the headphone out.

Comment

Working...
                X