• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Simple Question for all of you

Do you like painted necks? Why?

I like both painted and oiled
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I do not. I have a few guitars with painted necks and they do not get played as much as my guitar with raw necks. I like the feel of oiled necks. The painted ones just seem slippery.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I like painted on neck-thru, but oiled on bolt-ons.
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Oiled neck-thru Jackson necks kick ass if you are lucky enough to find one.

Comment

The only painted neck guitar I own is my Flying V, and thats because I misplaced the sandpaper.....

Comment

I like both. If the clear on a painted neck was done right, it doesn't become sticky.

Comment

is there a way for making painted solid color necks (black) non sticky and fast? I like the look of a painted neck...

Comment

I like them both, but prefer painted or clear-coated necks because they're a lot less susceptible to climate changes.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    I like both painted and oiled
                    +1

Comment

i am partial to oil and matte satin finished neck, this guy it turning in to another leoKV2
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromatic View Post
                        is there a way for making painted solid color necks (black) non sticky and fast? I like the look of a painted neck...
                        That refin job I had done on my neck-thru King V addressed this. Basically the body was buffed out, but the paint on the neck was only sanded. The neck has a slightly duller appearance, and it is graduated into the shiny body paint. Looks great, and is very smooth and fast.

Comment

I have one guitar (non-J/C) that had an extremely sticky clearcoat on the neck. I just masked it off, took out some sand papers and went at it for a bit. Sanded the finish to a matte surface - being careful not to sand down to the wood.

It's not pretty like a glossy clearcoat, but it makes a world of difference for me. However, this was a neck that had a natural finish. I'd expect it to look really crappy on a dark colored guitar.

Never had any problem with the clearcoats on my Charvels though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromatic View Post
                            Yeah, it's called guitar polish.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have 1 painted and 1 oil... like them both.
                              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                              custom made Les Paul
                              VOX Tonelab LE
                              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                              ADA MP1
                              BBE 422A
                              Lexicon MPX-G2
                              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                              Support Your Local 81

Comment