Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help--Volume Drop in Amp

Hey guys,

Seeking advice from the experts as always. I have to admit I am a dummy when it comes to tube amps. I have three--an H&K Tube 50, a Sovtek MIG-60, and a Marshall JCM 800, 50 Watt. The Marshall is actually a 4210 combo converted to just the head.

I'm having problems with the Marshall--it plays great for about 15 minutes, and then the volume starts to gradually drop off. It doesn't go up and down, it just gradually drops off over time. I swear I've heard of a similar problem before. The issue is that I need to replace tubes, right? (specifically, the preamp tubes) Can this be symptom of something else?

Thanks guys!
    George
    P.S. here she is: (I know I have to replace some knobs )

I'm no expert, but it sounds like your tubes are going out. Do they keep glowing when the volume drops?

Comment

I can check...good pointer, I'll need to see if the glow is fainter.

George

Comment

Sounds like the output tubes are dying. Just get a new pair and have it biased. Unless you already have a "matched pair of tubes in there. Say like Boogie tubes or Groove tubes. Then they should just pop in with a problem.
        Otherwise get it checked out by a certified tech and get it biased.
        Or it could be the output tranny. depending on how long it's been running with bad tunes in it.
        Gil

Comment

Thanks, Gil.

George

Comment

Working...
          X