String guage 9-38 ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String guage 9-38 ????

Has anyone ever tried a set of "nines" with the A and Low E from a set of "eights"

I was thinking of trying this. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I looked at D'addario's website and they don't make a set like this.

If anyone knows of a company that sells sets like this, let me know please, It will save a lot of time and money by not breaking up sets.

thanks,

NoahNandrewJackson [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: String guage 9-38 ????

I've been doing some research in the past few minutes, and I've noticed several companies are offering a 10-38 set but no 9-38 sets. Maybe I'll try one of those.
    I used to play "tens" all the time, but switched back to "nines" a couple years ago.
    nand [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Tony Iommi uses 8-38, IIRC. I don't like super-light strings anymore, I've been playing my acoustic too much [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . Bending on 13's make 9's seem wussified, eh?

Good luck on your search, though. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

8-38 doesn't stay in tune very well, in my experience, but I'm someone who greatly prefers both the feel and sound of thin strings. I get better note articulation with thinner strings using distortion, where with thicker strings everything seems to blend together--that might be better for guys who play nothing but power chord riffs.

On my 7-string, I've basically got a 9-38 set going, with a .52 added on the low B. Works pretty well for me, even though the A and low-E don't stay in tune as well as I'd like--I also tune down 1/2 step.

Comment

Sweet monkey moses, I use a 38 for my freaking D string! What the hell's the matter with you weak-fingered wussies? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Just Strings Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
              Sweet monkey moses, I use a 38 for my freaking D string! What the hell's the matter with you weak-fingered wussies? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Simple, I don't maintain a monkey grip on the guitar neck or strike the strings with orangutan-level force... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Why do you want to play on lighter strings that are like spider webs? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] The only reason Iommi played on 8s is because he's missing the tips of his middle and ring fingers and can't feel them with his thimble extensions, so it's much easier for him to bend. I personally wouldn't go any lower than 9s, but even they feel too light.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think I could ever use strings that light. I like fighting my guitar a bit.

I second the recommendation to juststrings.com. Go for the bulk stings. They're good and cheap.

Comment

dude order the particular gauge strings that you want from M.F&gt; in the bulk sets of 12 per string...prob solved. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I may try the 10-38 sets. I don't mind a heavier high E, B, or G, but I think I could play a little better if my wound strings were a little thinner.
                      ??

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Simple, I don't maintain a monkey grip on the guitar neck or strike the strings with orangutan-level force... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Profusion....you mean how NORMAL people play the guitar..right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X