Maple/mahogany/korina neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple/mahogany/korina neck

the body of my guitar will be Mahogany and I want a 3 piece neck.

Mainly a maple neck but... the middle stripe could be made of another wood.

Maybe:

Maple/Korina/Maple

or

Maple/Mahogany/Maple

the neck will be painted... this is more of a tone & strength debate.

some help and opinions please

Both strength and tone. The more maple the brighter the sound, but greater the strength. IMO the tone affect to your ear will be negligable. The body and pickup choice will have an affect on tone as well.

The difference in tone between Korina and Mahogany from my experience is about zero.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Why bother going with a three-piece neck if it's going to have paint over it and you won't see it? Get it clear-coated (high gloss or matte satin) or even oiled.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

3 piece necks are typically made with all from the same type of wood. Not like a 5- or 7-piece necks. With a mahogany body, maple archtop, and TOM layout, I would go with all mahogany neck.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Why bother going with a three-piece neck if it's going to have paint over it and you won't see it? Get it clear-coated (high gloss or matte satin) or even oiled.

but woudn't a Oiled 3 piece neck look funny in a Concorde body?

Comment

Originally posted by Chromatic View Post
            but woudn't a Oiled 3 piece neck look funny in a Concorde body?
            No, not at all, you'll have a beautiful looking neck. You'd just get a cap (maple or whatever wood) over the front of the body so you couldn't see the neck through the body wings.
            And like Shreddermon stated, most three-piece necks are the same species of wood (like Hamer does, all three pieces of mahogany, but the grain pattern goes in different directions to help with the stability). You can specify the different woods for a three-piece neck like you're looking to do, but mainly five- or seven-piece necks have that. I think it's just a waste of good wood if you're going to eventually cover it up with paint, though.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
              X