Need suggestions for a new bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions for a new bridge pickup

I have two guitars, an ESP Stephen Carpenter Sig and Jackson Y2KV that have pretty similar specs:neck-thru, string-thru, ebony board, Duncan JB in the bridge of both. The thing is the JB sounds great in the mahogany body of the Y2KV while it sounds really thin and dry in the alder bodied ESP. Both guitars are setup one whole step down in D and the Y2KV has a really meaty tone on the lower strings while the high strings have really good clarity and sustain while soloing. The tone I get from my ESP is severely lacking sustain on the higher strings while the lower strings have no real attack. I like the tone of the JB, just not in alder bodied guitars. I'm looking for something similar, not super high-gain as I play through a Dual Rectifier. I just need something that will help bring out the meat in the low end while not sounding like an icepick to the ears while soloing. Duncans are mostly what I'm looking for, so fire away with your suggestions. Thanks!

Re: Need suggestions for a new bridge pickup

Try a 59. Sounds crazy, yeah, but I had one in the bridge of a Kelly and it really had balls. Not as high output as a Distortion, but the same crunch and pretty good highs (not too sharp).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, the 59 seems like it would fit the bill. That or any of the other PAF based pickups that Duncan offers.

Comment

dude, there is no greater pickup than the duncan custom.

sully

[ June 03, 2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:

sully
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes!! There IS!!! And its Sully's all time favourite pickups!! EMGs!!! Bahahahahaw!!

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

[ June 03, 2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]

Comment

::shudders::

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

sully
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know - I have one in a mahogany body with maple top that sounds reeaaaaly dark - darker than a 59 and Pearly Gates in the Alder bodies. The one Custom I have in an Alder body is in the neck, but of course it sounds dark, cuz it's in the neck [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

::shudders::

sully
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You see!! Sully likes the EMGs SO MUCH that he's shuddering in excitement!!! Bahahahaahaw [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X