Three piece (no scarf joint)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three piece (no scarf joint)

is a "no scarf joint" a good thing in a 3 piece quartersawn maple neck?

The neck will be painted and I'm looking for a very strong neck so I decided to go 3 piece maple but this "no scarf joint" confuses me...

can somebody explain me what is this about? and the option "multi laminate" doesn't say "no scarf joint"...

help

I would guess that a 3-piece neck would be strong enough to not need a scarf joint. A standard neck (one piece) with a tilt-back headstock gets a lot stronger headstock with the scarf joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      I would guess that a 3-piece neck would be strong enough to not need a scarf joint. A standard neck (one piece) with a tilt-back headstock gets a lot stronger headstock with the scarf joint.
      i always thought that was jackson being cheap and not wanting to waste wood. was the reason for the scarf joint.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

+1.

There is no structural advantage to having a scarf neck joint, just a cost cutting measure, as carving a tilted headstock 1-piece neck requires more wood than gluing neck+headstock in a scarf joint.

Some argue however that a 3-piece laminate neck is stronger than the equivalent 1-piece, due to the internal tensions created by opposing wood grain.

Comment

stonger? more stable YES. I had a Hamer 3 piece mahogany neck & i had it 6-7 years i think i adjusted it once.

Comment

From what I understand, a 3 piece neck is superior (stronger) to either a one-piece with scarf joint or one-piece without scarf. So a scarf joint isn't necessary on a 3 piece. (My custom Kelly is this way, and it definitely "feels" more rigid than my other neck-throughs.)

I've heard that a scarf joint on a one-piece neck is stronger / more stable than one without a scarf. This is especially so with a tilt-back pointy headstock. And it is a cost-saver, too.

Everyone's got different preferences, though. Some folks think a one-piece without scarf is better for tone. I've mostly heard that opinion on strathead-like necks, though, that don't have an angled headstock.

So, in summary, there seems to be general (but not unanimous) consensus that a scarf joint is a good thing on a one-piece neck. But not needed / desirable on a 3 piece.

Comment

The 3 piece neck is going to be stronger overall and stiffer for the entire neck, and be less likely to warp or twist. It will have less bearing on the headstock as far as scarf vs. no scarf. Laminated necks are used to prevent to neck from getting too much back bow and not being to adjust it out.

A scarf joint is superior due to the grain structure and direction. Think about how it is made. A non-scarfed head has the grain running parallel to the neck. Meaning it is all end grain on the front and back and is a lot weaker, and easier to snap off. A scarfed headstock has the grain running parallel to the face of the headstock. Meaning the force is against the long face grain, which can handle to forces a lot better. A properly made glue joint is actually stronger than the wood itself.

It's basically the difference of trying to split a piece of wood vs. trying to chop one. Splitting is a lot easier because the grain is seperated from each other. Chopping requires the grain to either be cut or for it to snap which takes more force.

Comment

so... when choosing 3 piece... a scarf joint is not needed or desired?

I want "the best" option

Comment

From what I understand, a 3 piece neck is superior (stronger) to either a one-piece with scarf joint or one-piece without scarf. So a scarf joint isn't necessary on a 3 piece. (My custom Kelly is this way, and it definitely "feels" more rigid than my other neck-throughs.)
                  What i heard from luthiers aswell.

The thing is that you can't overdo it - I played a neck through 11 pc neck - sounded dead - no acoustic resonance whatsoever - probably too much glue because all the woods were top notch.

3/5 piece (think 3 main stripes with something like wenge/bubinga for stability) is fine on the other side - sounds good and the glue isn't killing the sound.

Comment

Working...
                  X