Tony Iommy vs. Angus Young(pickup)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Iommy vs. Angus Young(pickup)

I had an explorer that I got rid of and can't get back. I loved the way it sounded and it had what was sold to me as a used Tony Iommi pickup in it. It sounded tough! So I've been recommending this pickup to everyone I knew. I bought a used Ibanez with what looks like an Iommi, no pole pieces, covered chrome, etc. And it sounds kind of flat. I popped it out and the back of the pickup is marked 'patent applied for' and it is epoxied, but with a rough texture and a little bit of bulge down the middle of the magnet lengthwise. The old pickup I thought was an Iommi was epoxied, but glossy on the back and more normal, with no patent applied for, but with the chrome no pole-piece cover. So I'm thinking it was an Angus Young pickup in there and I really liked it, not an Iommi. I realize I haven't adjusted the pickup height and checked the wiring yet on this new one, and it's in a basswood or something body instead of mahogany, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to tell these pickups apart.Is my assuming the patent applied for one is Iommi is correct? I'm going to give this p'up a second chance in another guitar made of mahogany if I can't adjust or rewire it to work, but it may be that I've been touting the wrong pickup. I feel like an ass.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Tony Iommy vs. Angus Young(pickup)

Hey, The pickup was mounted upside down. When I put it back in (leads toward the volume/tone controls), it sounded good. Are these pickups directional (left hand/right hand?) I thought I've seen single coils that were directional, but never seen a hum advertised left or right handed. Sounds strong now. Good pickup afterall. BTW: Tony Iommi is marked PAF, I still dunno if the Angus YOung has the unmarked glossy epoxy underside or not.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Found some info on Gibson's site about their pickups. Also click on "How they're made" to see an output chart and specs of the different pups. Not sure if this will help you or not. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.gibsonstrings.com/pickups.html
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As far as I know, the Angus humbucker has exposed pole pieces & looks like a PAF with a cover. I wouldn't think an Angus would be easily mistaken for an Iommi.

I use the Iommi's in the Schecter guitars I use live. The back should look all glossy & epoxied with that bulge running down the middle & the Pat. Applied For decal.

I don't know anything about them being "directional" I've got 3 guitars loaded with them & never had any problems.

Comment

As far as I know, the Angus humbucker has exposed pole pieces & looks like a PAF with a cover. I wouldn't think an Angus would be easily mistaken for an Iommi.

I use the Iommi's in the Schecter guitars I use live. The back should look all glossy & epoxied with that bulge running down the middle & the Pat. Applied For decal.

I don't know anything about them being "directional" I've got 3 guitars loaded with them & never had any problems.

Comment

I don't think they are directional either, maybe I changed the height on them when I put them back. I don't remember the bulge on my old one, I bought my original used, so maybe the prev. owner removed the decal?
            I saw where the youngs have exposed pieces, so I guess I really did have an iommi before.

This one is a rougher texture on the backside, but I can get pretty close to the sound I got out of the old one, and Feedback is real easy to control with this p'up. I am relieved that both were probably Iommi's. I hate being a liar, or uninformed.

Just in case, are there any other no pole-piece pickups out there with the eposied backside?

Comment

I don't know of any other pickup that could be confused with a Gibson Iommi.

Comment

Working...
              X