Any good guitar tech in bay area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good guitar tech in bay area?

Does anyone know any good guitar tech in bay area? San Francisco and Berkeley area preferred, but other places are fine as well. I will assign a particular set of string to a guitar, and the guitar tech needs to set up the guitar in the tunning I want with my preferred action(ex: low action or medium).
    All my guitars have floyd rose, so the guitar tech needs to make sure floyd rose works perfectly and other stuff such as octave and harmonic are all perfect. 50$ for a professional set up is acceptable for me. Please recommend. Thanks!

Not for 50.00, especially for your first time in with a new tech. They want to do fret levels and basically, a full check up. But, that is the techs that I have used in the south bay.

Marks Guitars (Campbell) - He is good but is always backlogged
    Keith Holland (Los Gatos) - Good and well known tech around here.
    Rex (Marks protoge') - Good guy, not sure where he is working out of but, you can call Guitar Showcase and find out. I know he has business cards sitting on the counter there.

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I take my guitars to a guy who used to advertise on craigslist. His name is Greg and his number is 408-275 6190. he lives on Bird Avenue in San jose. he charges for strings. So be sure to take yours with you.

He is pretty good at setting up and correcting minor problems. but I wouldn't take my guitar to him if it needs something major. He charges only $35 but his turnaround is pretty quick. like a day or two.
      Sam

Comment

Thanks guys!

Hi Nate,

Did you have experience with either Keith or Rex? I think I will choose one of them. Thanks

Comment

Just fiddle with your guitars until you get what you want. This is not rocket surgery. Yeah, someone else can set up your guitar. But he will do to it to his feel and that may not be your feel. I will bet you that most of the members on this board do their own set-ups.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by bugsbunny View Post
            Does anyone know any good guitar tech in bay area? San Francisco and Berkeley area preferred, but other places are fine as well. I will assign a particular set of string to a guitar, and the guitar tech needs to set up the guitar in the tunning I want with my preferred action(ex: low action or medium).
            All my guitars have floyd rose, so the guitar tech needs to make sure floyd rose works perfectly and other stuff such as octave and harmonic are all perfect. 50$ for a professional set up is acceptable for me. Please recommend. Thanks!
            I also think you've just got to play with it. you feel a hell of a lot better doing this yourself. You will screw up, but thats part of learning to do the work. If you need help, there is loads of great info here. If you do get it setup, expect to pay at least $65, probably $75 for a good one.

Comment

Maybe a little late, but I highly recommend Geoff's work at SF Guitarworks. On Potrero avenue at 17th in San Francisco.

Geoff does amazing work, but he ain't cheap. See his website for more info.

Comment

Working...
              X