Tone Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Pots

Can anyone tell me why Gibson uses 500K tone pots in Les Pauls and are all 4 pots the same?. Are they all that way? Is'nt a 250K more likely used for a tone pot and how much of a difference will in make sound wise.also if 250's are ok would the same capacitors work. I know, Alot of questions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ............Gary

Re: Tone Pots

Most people use 500K pots for passive humbuckers. All 4 pots are the same because of the way they work, what makes a tone pot different from a volume pot is the capacitor running to the tone pot, the pots themselves are identical. 250K pots wouldn't have enough resistance to send the whole signal to ground, and if you used them as tone pots you could use the same capacitors, but the level of tone control you got would be less.

Comment

I have had some new L.P.s that have had 500k audio taper on the vol and 300k linier taper on the tone.Why I don't have a clue.But I do know all L.P.s need the R&S guitarworks pot upgrade kit,they really make a stock L.P.sound so much better.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I thought it was 500k on the tone and 300k on the volume. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I've heard older LPs have them 300k and 100k. I looked at the pots on my new LP quick and just saw Gibson engraved on them, no other markings as to what K they are. Go to the Les Paul forum and do a search or ask there.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/in...53c5bc1ef893f7
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X