Shredder Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredder Pickups

Why does it seem that faster players use Dimarzios? Gilbert Satch Vai Malmsteen, they all use the pickups, are duncans not as good for fast stuff? Anyone here use Duncans to shred? If so then what pickups?

Re: Shredder Pickups

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] You can use any kind of pickups to shred.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

but the sound wouldnt be the same between lets say an invader and a emg, thats what I am saying, is there something in the tombre of dimarzios that makes them beloved by the previously mentioned artists?

Comment

more so than a duncan?

Comment

Some people just prefer DiMarzios over Duncans, and vice-versa. I've used the following... DiMarzios: Super D, Super 2, Tone Zone. Duncans: Invaders, Pearly Gates Plus, JB, '59, even EMGs and Gibson pickups. Didn't have a problem shredding with any of them with the right amount of amp gain. If you need more gain, use an overdrive or distortion pedal to boost it. Try different amp eq settings with each pickup, or use an equalizer. If you can't get the tone you're looking for, experiment with a different pickup.

Comment

thats the problem though, goin through lots of pups get to be expensive and I want to at least hit close to my target tone on my first try, so I dont have to keep losing money on pickups

Comment

I much prefer the Duncans I have. They give me plenty o' shred tone. However, that is not to say that you can't achieve the desired tone with another pickup. My 650xl is set up to shred with a Distortion bridge, Hot Rails neck and a Cool Rails mid thrown in there for variety.

Comment

Originally posted by desmauler:
                thats the problem though, goin through lots of pups get to be expensive and I want to at least hit close to my target tone on my first try, so I dont have to keep losing money on pickups
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Duncan has a 21 day exchange policy so you can trade in a pickup for another one if need be.

Comment

I'd suggest going to DiMarzio's and Duncan's sites and looking at the tone charts of their pups to get a sense of approximately what tone you're looking for. Seems like a lot shredders on this board prefer Duncans, but anything will work. I personally have always been more of a DiMarzio fan, but I'll give anything a try and won't change stock pickups unless I'm totally sure I want something different. Jackson has some pretty decent pickups too, at least on their older models.
                  Also, DiMarzio has a 30-day exchange policy on their pups.

Comment

thanks for all the input guys, I am looking right now at a breed chopper fast track 1 combination

Comment

I haven't had any problems with my stock Jackson pickups and have managed to get pretty close to the tone I want. As someone once said "Its all in the tweak" of the effects/amp etc.

Comment

APC!!!!
                        THATS ALL YOU NEED!!!!
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

for shreddin the dimarzio PAF pro's are hard to beat. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          VAI,satch,gilbert,and other used these for the faster than light shred stuff [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                          I believe this is due to the fact that the pro's are EQ'd very balanced and have unbelievable clarity and string balance(the high E is as loud as the low E on the pro's!) i dont know how dimarzio did that but all strings have equal volume [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks for all the info, what about single coil pickups? any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by desmauler:
                              thanks for all the info, what about single coil pickups? any recommendations?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">malmsteen kick major A$$ on the dimarzio HS-3
                              [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              but these days you have so many buckers that fit into a single coil slot like the tone zone s model
                              the pro track,man dimarzio makes a S**t load of em!
                              what type tone you going for?

Comment

Working...
                              X