How do I determine string gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I determine string gauge?

I'm going to change the strings on my Larrivee but since I bought it used I have no idea what gauge strings it has. I'm thinking they're either 9's or 10's. I tried comparing to my Strat that's strung with 10's but I can't tell for sure. I like the feel of the guitar as it is so I'd like to stick with the same gauge, which is easier set up wise as well from what I understand. So is there a way to determine the string gauge or should I just chance it and get 9's...or 10's (still undecided)?

If you can't tell the difference between your strat with 10s and your Larrivee, than it probably has 10s too.. 9s are much easier to bend.. I can't help you more.. (:
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Do you have access to a dial or digital micrometer? You can measure them accurately.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Even if the high string is a 10, you'd have to compare each string to make sure you got the same set of gauges. Just accept the fact that you'll have to set up the guitar once you put new strings on and buy what you want to.
        Scott

Comment

Digital micrometer? ...I don't think so...maybe one of my friends has one

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            Just accept the fact that you'll have to set up the guitar once you put new strings on and buy what you want to.
            Yeah, that's what I figured. Oh well, no biggie. I'll just get 10's and do a set up.

Comment

Dial calipers are fairly cheap unless you go for some upscale models. I think I paid $20 for mine a few years ago. They are handy for this kind of thing and many other tasks.

Comment

just put on some 9-46 and you get the both of best worlds

Comment

Working...
                X