PS4 Finish question-how to polish scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS4 Finish question-how to polish scratches

I have a PS4 (Black Dinky style Performer Made in Japan, HSS w/licensed Floyd, 24 Fret, Offset Dots, made in 96) that has scratches like someone wore a bracelet on the pick hand. Scratches aren't through the finish. What type of paint is this finish and does it have a clearcoat? Can I polish this out? Will try and post pics if it will help.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: PS4 Finish question-how to polish scratches

this thread may help...
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully,
      That outa do it, but do any Jacksons have a two-part paint what is it they use at the factory? Are all the same type (polyurethane, nitrocellulose, etc?) I know Jackson doesn't use nitrocellulose, but what do they use, does it vary by model?
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Thanks for that link, Sully! My dad has a very similar buffer for his car that we gave him for Christmas. I think I'll use that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Is that liquid compound stuff really necessary, or is the buffer alone fine?

Comment

jackson uses polyester on the newer guitars, and you're really only working with the clear coat. try the rubbing compound; it oughta take care of ya.

notp, i'd use the rubbing compound for sure, to kinda keep the proverbial wheels greased. when you're done with the compound on the applicator, you could finish it off with just a dry terrycloth pad if you wish....?

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

NOTP:

Take Sully's advice bro...you won't be sorry [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

The compounds are like a thick paste. It took me several hours working with the compounds, first the more abrasive one then the polish, and finished up the job with McGuires auto polish which I buffed out with an unused terry cloth pad for a really nice finish.

I also kept the pads as clean as I could and didn't mix and match the compounds on the pads.

Take your time and you'll get a great result [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Let's see the results Sam!

Dave->
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
              X