Floyd saddle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd saddle problem

Hey guys,I have a Charvel 750XL with a relatively new original Floyd Rose on it.This is the 3rd time the A string has broke at the same place,right where the string leaves the locking block.It looks smooth but I am figuring there is some sort of rough spot there.Should I try to file it smooth or just replace the saddle?I know the saddles are different,can someone tell me specifically what one I need?Thanks for any help.

Re: Floyd saddle problem

Excellent advice above but sometimes there are "little divots or pits" in the surface of the saddle, so yes, sometimes it does require a bit of filing. Your best bet is to take it off and look at under a magnifier to check it out closely. You want that area perfectly smooooooth. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks for the great advice,I will take a look at the next string change,cheers! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a burr once on a Floyd saddle and I used a dremel with a small slightly conical shaped stone tip grinder to smooth it out. Worked like a charm!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But some sand paper wrapped around a tooth pick with do the trick too. Hope this helps!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just be careful and dont over do it. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Take your time, you can always take more material off, but you can never put it back on! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Tonemonster:
          Take your time, you can always take more material off, but you can never put it back on! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Words to live by!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

If you do decide to replace the saddle, Floyd saddles are usually available in three different heights. The heights are usually called "low", "medium" and "high". "Low" is for the E strings, "medium" for the B and A strings and "high" is for the G and D strings. These different heights are intended to allow the strings to follow the curvature of the fingerboard. If you need a saddle, try allparts, warmoth or guitar nucleus.
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

when the string is off, run a q-tip or a cotton ball across the saddle. If any of the cotton sticks to it-there is a burr that needs to be filed. The Floyd saddles are numbered on the bottom-just replace it with one of the same number.

Comment

I have the same problem but with D strings. I break them on any trem equipped guitar I have. I have a Charvel Floyd on my Fusion, a Schaller Floyd on my 650xl, and a Wilkinson on my sticker guitar - I always break the D - whether it be .024 or .026. It must be my picking attack and hand placement.
                D'Addario's last the longest = 2 shows. I picked up some bargain SIT strings a month ago. Snapped the D in the middle of a set. I loosened the lock, unwound some extra string from the tuner, locked it down, tuned it up, SNAP! at the end of the night. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
                I've been playing 9's since I broke my wrist a year ago. I'm fully recovered and now going back to 10's and D'Addario.

Comment

Working...
                X