What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

I want to change my Model 6 bridge pickup.

Right now it has a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge, and I am not too happy with how it sounds.

Recently I bought a Seymour Duncan Distortion (Bridge) and a Dimarzio Evolution (Bridge) my intention was to dump one of them in my Model 6. Both were Ebay impulse buys.

But then yesterday I scored a Dimarzio Evolution NECK pickup off Ebay.

I also have a 750 XL, currently loaded out with PAF Pro in the neck and Dimarzio Breed bridge in the...bridge. I think it sounds OK. The breed sounds a little jangly, I wanted something darker.

I was thinking though, if I dropped both Evos into the 750XL, would I get a screaming hellhound machine sounded as if it was crafted by gods (= good!) Or would the Evos just not work? There's lots of hype around them.

Or should I put an Evo bridge into the 6? Mix and match? Take the breed from the 750 and put it in the 6? Or I have a cheap Aria guitar HSH which is sitting unused and empty, pickup wise. Pretty sure it is basswood, which the Evos were built for IIRC?

Stylistically I play Fusion, shred, Shawn Lane, Vai, Timmons and Satch stuff, and also hair metal (hence my username).

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I tried using the Seymour Ducan and Dimarzio tone wizards, but it doesn't have an option for "Mahogany body with maple top" (750XL) and I do not know if the Mod6 is poplar with maple wings, maple with poplar wings or even basswood...!

Sorry for the long post and thanks again.

(if this needs to be moved to Pickup section, that's fine by me.)
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
    and I do not know if the Mod6 is poplar with maple wings, maple with poplar wings or even basswood...!
    It's a maple neck-thru with poplar body wings.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i had a evo in a schecter c plus -sounded great(mahogany&maple cap). I'd go for the evos in the 750 and distortion in the 6.

Comment

+1

+1

I had a Full Shred and a Dimarzio Steve's Special in a 5, and neither one had depth or thickness that I wanted. I think the Distortion would, but the highs might be ice-pickey?

A black-out would work great I think...

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        i had a evo in a schecter c plus -sounded great(mahogany&maple cap). I'd go for the evos in the 750 and distortion in the 6.

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far. What do you mean by a black-out, Mustaine Who? (Sorry!)
          http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
            What do you mean by a black-out?
            Blackouts are new active Duncan pickups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...html#blackouts
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not to cause problems, but I will just say that the Distortion sounds killer in my 750XL. The highs aren't shrill at all, probably balanced out by the woods. I bet the Evo will sound good in the 6. Why not try out all the possibilities, & go with what sounds best to you? It's all personal taste at the end of the day.

Comment

Working...
              X