Mixing Passives and Actives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Passives and Actives

Is it possible to have a h/s/h with 1 volume and 2 tones and a 5 way switch that has an active EMG in the bridge and passive Dimarzio's in the middle and neck positions? If not, I was thinking maybe I could change one of the tones for a 500K volume for the Dimarzio's and leave the EMG 25K volume pot separate for the bridge pickup. Could all this be wired into one 5 way switch?

Re: Mixing Passives and Actives

I have done it similar to what you mentioned with no problem. It was a strat with an EMG 81 in the bridge and two SD hotrails. The guy I did it for wanted a volume for each pickup so I used a 25k for the EMG and two 250k's for the hotrails. This setup worked fine and actually sounded great. by adjusting the volumns you could "mix" the pickups that were selected together.

As far as putting them into the same pots, I don't think you can, but I've never done it. I'd go with your two volumn solution.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

it can be done, but you need the ps2 preamp from emg (ok i might be slightly off on the name) its the little mini toggle that enganges up a 20db boost. this will level out the impedence, but i'd call emg for a diagram of how to wire it up.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Did JG ever get this working?

I've got an EMG81 laying around and I wanted to put it in the PS4, but it's H-S-H and I want to leave the other pickups wired up

I don't see how it is possible with the 25k? EMG pot needed and the 250 or 500k that the stock PS4 uses. Also, I realize if this is to work you need to use the output jack from EMG.

I was thinking, JGs suggestion could work - remove the tone pot, wire the EMG to the 5 way, and use the EMG battery and output jack, replacing the tone pot with the EMG volume.

Is this feasible?
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

what about using a 500k pot, but have it be a push pull pot and put a 25k resistor on it, switch activated, so you can instantly make the pot 500k to 25k back to 500k?

Comment

Working...
          X