Midboost help needed for model 6/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midboost help needed for model 6/4

I just sold the pickups with the pots for a model 6 on ebay. The buyer is not very knowledgable on these. It was started in the auction that the vol/boost was broken.

I don't want to screw this person over so I need help with a few questions.
    Can you use the pickups without the midboost if you just get a new 50k volume pot?
    do they need the battery to work?
    Would the EMG boost work?
    Bottom line -how can the buyer get these to work ?

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
    I just sold the pickups with the pots for a model 6 on ebay. The buyer is not very knowledgable on these. It was started in the auction that the vol/boost was broken.

I don't want to screw this person over so I need help with a few questions.
    Can you use the pickups without the midboost if you just get a new 50k volume pot?
    do they need the battery to work?
    Would the EMG boost work?
    Bottom line -how can the buyer get these to work ?
    Isn't the volume pot 500k? Yes, you can use the pickups without the mid-boost. The pickups are passive, only the mid-boost circuit requires battery to operate. The single coils, probably J200's, will sound like ass though without the circuit board. I personally believe they sound like ass with or without the mid-boost.

As far as the EMG boost, isn't that used with the passive EMG's? If so, then it may work with the Jackson pickups. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will answer that question.
    Last edited by Alvin_Wilson; 08-13-2007, 07:38 PM.
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

EMG boost will work with any passive or active pickups.

Comment

The volume/midboost board is a 50k , the other two I can't read because of the solder

Comment

If you made it clear in the auction that the midboost wasn't working, then you shouldn't worry that you're screwing the guy over. It's cool that you want to help him out, though. The pickups will work without the circuit, but like Alvin said, those J200s aren't going to sound very good. The guy has a few options:

1 - ditch the boost completely and wire it up with new pots, preferably 500k. Drawback is that these pickups sound best with an active circuit.

2- try to solder a new 50k volume pot to the board and see if that corrects the problem. Drawback is that the guy probably doesn't have the skills to pull it off (since it's directly soldered to the board), and there may be more wrong than just the vol. pot.

3- start fresh with the EMG boost. Best option for this guy, imo. He may be able to sell the JE-1200 to somebody who wants to try to fix it.
          Last edited by dg; 08-14-2007, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X