Tung oil over trans blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tung oil over trans blue

I'm getting in a new "project" guitar and I decided that I wanted a trans color for a finish. I also like the feel of raw wood, so I figured that I would Tung oil the stained body rather than spray a lacquer. So my question is - is this a good idea? I know a tung oil finish is easy and protects the wood - it just won't be glossy. Will the trans color fade due to being oiled rather than lacquered?

Thanx,
    Peter

Re: Tung oil over trans blue

Originally posted by lhrocker:
    I'm getting in a new "project" guitar and I decided that I wanted a trans color for a finish. I also like the feel of raw wood, so I figured that I would Tung oil the stained body rather than spray a lacquer. So my question is - is this a good idea? I know a tung oil finish is easy and protects the wood - it just won't be glossy. Will the trans color fade due to being oiled rather than lacquered?

Thanx,
    Peter
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have no idea how well it would adhere to the finish... also, the color of the tung oil (kinda ambery) would be over the blue, so it would change the color quite a bit. Might want to experiment with a piece of scrap wood first.

Pete

Comment

i wouldn't do it, and my thought process on that is when you're going to apply color to a guitar, you've got to seal it first, and then add your color. the point of adding an oil finish is to seal and protect the wood, and if you've added color, you've already done that. so....it's redundant to do that. i understand where you're coming from about not wanting it to be shiny, but you could use a satin clear coat on it instead?

pete's point about the color issue is also a good one. also, if you're going to use an oil finish, gunstock, linseed, or danish oil are better ways to go. one of erlewine's books suggest using danish oil before appluying your trans finish, but i haven't read all about that yet, let alone tried it yet.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully has pretty much nailed it in terms of whats happening with the oil.

What you can do is apply your stain and then apply Behlens Master Gel over that. It's a wipe on / wipe off process that's maybe as easy as it gets. It's available at Home Depot, you can buff it up glossy with 0000 steel wool and a white nylon scotchbrite pad, or just knock it back with 000 wool for a satin feel. The stuff works awesome, I've used it on several necks as well as entire acoustic instruments.

Good luck,
        Steve E

Comment

A "satin" feel on a guitar is not from a different style of paint, it's from sanding it with a really fine sanding sponge. My guess would be that the ung oil and transparent blue would run together and look like crap, but I could be wrong. I'd try it on a piece of scrap wood, like Pete said. Then leave that piece of scrap wood outside for a week and see how it looks.

Comment

Stew mac sells satin nitrocellulose lacquer in a spaycan can If you don't have access to spray equipment. I used it for a minor repair I did on a strat neck. Buffed it out with a little 000 steel wool. Came out awesome. I would cover a dyed neck with it.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Yeah, go with the matte satin clear, but after time it will probably get a little shiny and glossy from use and you'll have to buff it back out to matte again anway. Though, it's easier than having to re-tung oil it every year anyway.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Couldn't you just use a Blue tung oil stain? I did up one of my guitars with some dark red stain that was about 90% tung oil. got it from WoodCraft.

Comment

Working...
                X