Prepping guitar before concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping guitar before concert

I have my first live gig this friday, and i wonder if i should prep my guitar for it? Like oiling the fretboard so it slides better. I have Dunlop 65 (lemon oil & spray), 01 and 02.
    I guess i also should put on some new strings a few days before?
    If you have any other tips or tricks, please share them

Where you playing at? Rockcafe @ Oude Markt? Death Metal, right?

You could drown the fretboard in 'Finger Ease', reduces pretty much all squeaks and whatever and makes it very smooth. Probably not advisable if it's your first time though, the strings get mightily slippery!

Pack an extra set of strings or two. If possibly two guitars is always a good choice. And have a buddy handy that can do some minor tech work for you in return for a couple of beers.

And the most important tip: before starting your most flashy solo of the night point at the hottest beeyotch in the crowd and you're garantueed a good lay afterwards!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Always have a back up guitar and amp, one of my friends had to call me at 11:30 one night because he blew a fuse or something in his H&K Triamp during a gig... I took him mine, it took about 20 minutes time and he was up and running again, but what if I wasn't home! He bought a H&K 100 watt Switchblade Combo off of me that week so that he would have a back-up! LOL.................

And if you play a few different covers that require various tunings, you will be happier to have a couple of axes in the back all set up and tuned, ready to go!
      Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Make sure your in tune!
        ps: dont let your guitars out of your sight either.
        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
          I have my first live gig this friday, and i wonder if i should prep my guitar for it? Like oiling the fretboard so it slides better. I have Dunlop 65 (lemon oil & spray), 01 and 02.
          I guess i also should put on some new strings a few days before?
          If you have any other tips or tricks, please share them
          Whatever you do make sure you get some time playing it afterward so you aren't playing something slightly foreign. Oiling the fretboard can make everything feel very different and it could fuck you up if you aren't expecting it

Comment

Don't change anything but strings.....

Oiling the board might screw you up from your normal "feel".

Backups are always good.... necessary if you have a floyd- nobody wants to wait 20 plus minutes for you to change a string....

Comment

Originally posted by Shibs View Post
              Always have a back up guitar and amp, one of my friends had to call me at 11:30 one night because he blew a fuse or something in his H&K Triamp during a gig... I took him mine, it took about 20 minutes time and he was up and running again, but what if I wasn't home! He bought a H&K 100 watt Switchblade Combo off of me that week so that he would have a back-up! LOL.................

And if you play a few different covers that require various tunings, you will be happier to have a couple of axes in the back all set up and tuned, ready to go!

I gig with 4 guitars. A string through and an OFR in standard tune, one tuned a half step down, and one tuned a full step down. That way I have all the songs I play covered in the tunings I need, and a backup for the standard tuning.

All I do is change the strings a couple of days before a show.
              Last edited by TexasRocks; 08-13-2007, 10:44 PM.
              1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
              Jackson SLATQH
              Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
              Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
              Jackson DKMGT (project)
              Kramer Focus 1000
              Ibanez SDGR Bass
              Ovation Celebrity
              Martin Backpacker

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                ps: dont let your guitars out of your sight either.
                +1000

& yeah i wouldnt do anything special. just make sure you got a good cord or 2, extra strings. & if you decide to change string before hand make sure they're well streched out.

Comment

Well i don't have a spare guitar (except a 6 string strat i can't really tune to B and it sounds like crap for death metal), and since the COW i ordered hasn't arrived yet so I'll have to do with 1. But Jacksons don't break right?
                  We don't play covers so that won't be a prob.
                  In any case the band before us plays in the same tuning as us so i could use his gear if necessary. He has a Jackson RR3 so i won't have to adjust too much.
                  As for oiling, i like my neck to be slippery where i put my thumb. Usually this is the case when i'm sweating tho.
                  And GOR, its not in the Rock Café, but in de Vort'n Vis in Ieper. We'll play in the rock café soon i hope.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

And believe me you will be sweating a lot
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

You need a back up, I play 40-45 songs a gig and I rarely make it without a guitar change!
                      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I prefer to change strings at least a few days in advance and then get a couple hours of use in on them. Other than that, I just try to make sure all of my gear is working properly, replace any batteries, and pack up a couple of spare cables and such.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                          You need a back up, I play 40-45 songs a gig and I rarely make it without a guitar change!
                          We only have 10 songs atm so i hope i'll be ok.
                          I haven't broken a string on my KV2 since i got it 5 months ago, with daily intensive death-metalling and only 2 string changes.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                            We only have 10 songs atm so i hope i'll be ok.
                            I haven't broken a string on my KV2 since i got it 5 months ago, with daily intensive death-metalling and only 2 string changes.
                            I remember those days, when I do original shows they are always 8-10 songs. Pick up a cheap backup though, Murphy's Law is real!
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                              I remember those days, when I do original shows they are always 8-10 songs. Pick up a cheap backup though, Murphy's Law is real!
                              As i said above i have a Jackson COW 7 String incoming soon, hopefully by the end of the month. So i'll just take my chances this first gig

Comment

Working...
                              X