Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable for head to cab

Hello,
    Can I use a guitar cable to connect the head to the cabinet? I read recently, can't recall where that there are specific cables for this? Due the cable being shielded. What are you using? Thanks.

Re: cable for head to cab

That's right, you need to use a speaker cable.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

No, you can't use a speaker cable for an instrument, unless you really enjoy all kinds of awful noise and interferance.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have used instrument cables in place of speaker cables in a pinch, and they do ok, but like zeegler said, you shouldn't use a speaker cable for an instrument.

Matt

Comment

Sweet Christ, I'm positive my VHT would incinerate an instrument cable!!

Comment

It has nothing to do with the shielding, speaker cables usually AREN'T shielded, while guitar cables are. Speaker cable is a much heavier gauge wire to handle much greater current going through it. If you use instrument cable to carry power to your speakers you will fry your cable in a heartbeat, and you could very well burn up your amp too.

Comment

I believe that you can use a speaker cable as an instrument cable, but CANNOT use an instrument cable as a speaker cable, for the above stated reasons. I could be mistaken, but the bottom line is: head to cab-only a speaker cable.

Comment

So you're admitting that Christ is sweet, Ace? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Awwwwwwwwww! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

With the right sauce.

Comment

You have to be really careful, but I've used guitar cables as speaker cables for a while now and they haven't given me any problems. Then again, I'm not going to chance $2000 worth of amp on it, just my sub-$200 Sunns. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I admit I've done the same thing. I had a speaker cable go bad, and the local music stores didn't have any 3 footers for some ludicrous reason, so I used a good quality instrument cable until they got some in. It was only about 2 days now that I think about it.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                        With the right sauce.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

OK, I guess I was confused about which one you could use for both. Not surprising...the confused part, that is. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The main reason a speaker or any unshielded cable isn’t good for instrument is due to the lack of shielding and the low level that is sent through the cable, most anything can interfere with the signal. As soon as you send enough power through a cable to power a speaker, there isn’t much that will interfere with the signal.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                            X