Will any Floyd fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will any Floyd fit?

I'm planning on replacing the Gotoh Floyd on my Larrivee with an original Floyd. I hear the OFR is a superior unit so it can only make the guitar better.

Are there any specifik measurements I need know? I mean are there extra wide Floyds or something like that? When you buy a new one do you get the nut as well or is that a seperate part? 'Cause I guess I need to know the nut width otherwise.

It will fit just fine.
    Use the existing trem posts and lock nut.
    No need to swap those out unless you are doing a hardware color change.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks. No color change...yet.
      I originally thought I'd do a refinish too but I really dig the white color so the stock black will be just fine.

Comment

So you have a Gotoh Floyd on there now? How is it working for you?

The thing is, I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Gotohs, while I've been starting to hear...not so good things about recent OFRs.

Comment

The Gotoh trem on my EBMM EVH model is awesome.
          I wouldn't dream of swapping it for an OFR.

Comment

So far it's working as it should but from what I hear the OFR also improves the sound. Plus there is something about having the original that appeals to me.

Comment

OFR improves the sound? Um...yeah right. IMHO the Gotohs sound just as good if not better due to that big hunk of machined brass. I don't know, if you've got more money than sense then maybe you should swap it.
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Well, OFR's seem to be tricky to find around here so I'll probably stick with the original trem for now.

Comment

Gotoh trems are just as good IMO.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah, after reading old threads here it seems that Gotohs are pretty decent. It does need a good cleaning though (it's got dust and rust and gunk all over it) so when I do that I can give it a more thorough inspection.

Comment

WD40 is your friend.
                      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I wouldn't swap it. Some people would do it, just so they have a "REAL OFR", OOOH, it must be better. Hah, save your money.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, keep the Gotoh. Those things are nice. I've played several and have always been impressed. No sense in throwing money away. If you wanna do that, give me the money you woulda spent on the OFR, and I'll tell you how cool you are!
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                          X