String Bending Difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Bending Difficulties

I just picked up an RR1. I've noticed that bending the E and B strings above the 12th fret or so is somewhat difficult. Is there any kind of adjustment that can be made to alleviate this string tension without tuning down?

I have a Model 5 with the same 25 1/2" scale length that doesn't have the same issue. I had a Les Paul with a 24 3/4" scale length with the same problem, so I don't think the problem is due to scale length. Any ideas?

Re: String Bending Difficulties

How is the string height on the Model 5 compared to the other two? Higher?

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The action is nearly identical on the Model 5, perhaps 1/16" higher.

Comment

Originally posted by 86mod5:
        Is there any kind of adjustment that can be made to alleviate this string tension without tuning down?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only one I know of is to use a lighter gauge of strings than you are currently using.

Comment

It is the only thing i can think of. My experience with my guitars is, that the higher the string height, the easier it is to bend.

If i am bending say the high e-string and the overall string height is very low, the B and G string sometimes wanna crawl under my fingertips = difficult bend. Maybe that's your problem too, i dunno...

/Henrik
          Henrik

Comment

I have 10's on all three guitars so I don't think that's the problem. I was thinking that it would have to be the low action or perhaps the fretboard radius. I think the RR1 has a 16" fretboard radius over the upper frets. I know my PRS has a constant 10" radius. I'm not sure what the radius on the Mod 5 is.

Comment

jackson1 - That's exactly what happens to me and it seems that is probably happening for two reasons: the low action and the tension of the strings makes it difficult to hold the bend for a while.

Comment

Raise the treble side of the bridge just a bit. I'm guessing you're running pretty low action on that RR1, right?

Maybe you'd gain some more tone too, by raising it a bit.

/Henrik
                Henrik

Comment

Yeah, the action can't go much lower. That's how it was when I received it, so I'll make a few adjustments. Thanks for the help jackson1.

Comment

You might also look to see if a fret is higher than the others or if a fret has perhaps come unseated a bit. That might also cause your string-bending problem.
                    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by 86mod5:
                      The action is nearly identical on the Model 5, perhaps 1/16" higher.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">dude, a sixteenth of an inch is a big difference, especially on the treble side. your problem has nothing to do with string gauge; you either need to tweak the truss rod a bit, raise your action, or you have a high fret issue.

when you get your action set, always do at least a full step bend starting on the high e at the 12th fret and move it all the way up to the end. do this for the B and G strings as well. you want to make sure that nothing is fretting out. if it is, you should check to make sure that the frets are level. if they are, you need to raise the action on the treble side ever so slightly.

an easy way to check for high frets is to adjust the neck perfectly straight, grab a fresh razor blade, and start at the 22nd fret. use the razor blade like a straightedge 3 frets at a time. you want to see if the razor will rock at all.

btw, jackson's factory action settings should be a 16th of an inch on the treble side ( i check action at the 17th) and 1/8 of an inch on the bass side.

enjoy.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Stronger fingers. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

That's some good information Sully. I will take it into account when I make the action adjustment. Thanks again for all the help guys, and you too Travis. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

No problem, man. Anything to help out a bro. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X