Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When ordering a custom shop scalloped neck guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When ordering a custom shop scalloped neck guitar...

Can you have sharkfin inlays?
    Can you have bindings on the neck? (guess not?! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] )

If you have pictures showing the above features, please post.

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: When ordering a custom shop scalloped neck guitar...

From the JCF Soloists gallery:

Scalloped AND binding AND sharkfins! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Hell yeah, NOTP! Thanks. Is that a factory job?

Are there more pictures? Point me to'em! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
      Henrik

Comment

Guess i should ask Joe C. :-)
        Henrik

Comment

Well, the only other picture of THAT particular guitar is this one, and it doesn't show the scalloping too well:

I haven't cruised the whole gallery in a while so I don't recall if there are other scalloped Jacksons with binding and sharkfins.

Yes, and please ask Joe if he also agrees that the 14th fret scallop in that first picture looks a little bit "lopsided" and uneven! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Cool looking guitar though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've worked on this guitar. A buddy of mine bought it off of eBay from a member here (can't remember who) who bought it from Joe C. I was told that this was a factory scallop, but I don't think it is. the scalloping broke through the third fret sharkfin. I highly doubt that Jackson would have let that go. It's a pretty decent job, but I don't think it's up to Jackson's standard. I had the guitar last week. I wish he hadn't picked it up yet so I could have taked a few pics.

I would imagine that you could get binding on a factory scallop, but I'm not 100% I'm sure fellow JCFer can tell us.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

That scalloping job has to be factory. If you've ever seen Jackson installing sharkfins, then you know they are super thin, like maybe a couple of mm's. No way a standard necks sharkfins would have stood up to that depth of scalloping. I believe they would have had to have used much thicker inlays to accomplish this job. A tiny bit of the sharkfin at the 3rd fret could have escaped the factory, considering the alternatives...

Comment

It very well may be a factory job, but I'm just not 100% convinced. This guitar I believe dates back to the late 80's. I'm going to see if I can take some more detailed pic's and let you guys decide. Aside from the 3rd fret breakthrough, the quality of the scallop seems to have been done by a very good tech, but not luthier quality. I could also be too picky! Is there anyway of getting the original work order based on the ser# from anyone at Jackson? Not sure if you can still get this info from them. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

How does it feel to play scalloped neck? How's with the sliding? Do your fingers hit the valley or slide out?

Comment

It really is an aquired taste. If you have a light touch, I would imagine that it feels great. There's a lot less friction and drag. I didn't like it the first time I tried it, but once you get used to it, it feels pretty good. You can get stuck in the vallies if your not used to it or if you have a heavy fret hand.

Comment

I bought a Fender Strat with full scalloped maple board a month ago. My first ever scalloped guitar. First couple of days was not very rewarding/pleasing, but now i really like the way it plays! I think when you're used to jumbo fret Jacksons the transisiton to a scalloped neck is no big deal. Yes, you'll hit the sides of the "valley". Yes, you'll sound out of tune. But only in the beginning. I think i have a light fret hand and that probably helped a lot too.

For soloing it's a KILLER! The control and ease you have during bends and vibrato is unbeatable. Full bends are quick and perfectly executable with easy vibrato even when holding a full bend. It's freakin' great! I find myself bending notes places on the neck i would normally never consider. Apart from that, a general misconception is that scalloped necks are faster. That's not true.

For me there's no turning back, meaning i will still use my normal fretted Jacksons but i am already thinking about ordering a Jackson Custom Shop with a full scalloped job. That's how much i like it.

Maybe the scallops are only used by the few, because it takes time to get used to and exploit its advantages. And that time is longer than the usual 5 minutes you'll spend trying out a guitar in the shop.

/Henrik
                      Henrik

Comment

That is the first scalloped neck I've ever seen with both inlays and binding. It may just be camera angle, but take a gander at the scallop at the 14th fret. Seems to be off centered.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Yeah, that particular fret scallop does look off-centered. It might be that all of them are like that or just a camera angle thing. Some scallops are designed like that though. The Yngwie signature Strat has the scallop centered while the Riche Blackmore model has a tear-dropped shaped scallop that is like what this one appears to be. I never tried either though.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I just ordered a scalloped neck from warmoth today ! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II:
                              Yeah, that particular fret scallop does look off-centered. It might be that all of them are like that or just a camera angle thing. Some scallops are designed like that though. The Yngwie signature Strat has the scallop centered while the Riche Blackmore model has a tear-dropped shaped scallop that is like what this one appears to be. I never tried either though.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a 1997 Blackmore signature. The scallops are done in a unique manner. They are situated more towards the forward fret and not centered. Also, the scallops get progressively deeper as you move from the nut to the neck pickup. And lastly, the scallops are deeper on the treble side than on the bass side. Overall, the scallop job on mine is so-so. I think that's due to the factory guys in Japan having relatively little experience with this unique scallop style. Still, it is fun to play on though it takes a little bit of getting used to.
                              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                              X