Adjusting PUPS on my 375

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting PUPS on my 375

I wanted to raise the singles on my 375. They looked like they should be about half again as close to the string. So, like every other guitar I have owned, I backed the screws up to raise the pup. All that happened is the coverplate came loose. I have my project 375 body so I loosened the pickup. It came out. I was agast and agog when I found there no springs on the screws. As much as I luv my 375, this inability to adjust the PUPS is just plain stupid and shoddy workmanship. The only thing I found in the pocket was a piece of foam. When it was new, was that supposed to dampen and flex so the pup would raise or lower? I'll figure out a way to raise them. You guys have any tips.?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Re: Adjusting PUPS on my 375

Get a new piece of foam from a fabric shop or see if you can get some 1/8" surgical tubing from a medical supply store to use as a spacer between bottom of the pup and the body.

Or, stop by a guitar store and see if their tech has any springs.....they will most likely.

Comment

I'll do that. This guitar had an MSRP of over 8 bills in 90-91. It just pisses me off that you would have to remove the strings and remove the pup to make the adjustment. For that kind of money, you would think they could have done much better.

Comment

My soloist was the same way.When I change the pickups from the classic stacks to a set of hot rails I added springs under the pickups to get adjustment out of them.Just cut a regular hum spring in half.
        Mike
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Calm down, Fett. Chances are you are NOT the original owner of your high dollar Charvel 375. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Don't be knocking the almighty Charvel company because your particular guitar doesn't have springs under the pickups. Jeeze, Fett, we have AIDS, prostitution, high school dropouts, terrorism, war, drug abuse, and cancer in this world. And you, you have no springs under your fucking single coils. My God, it is the end of the world! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
            Calm down, Fett. Chances are you are NOT the original owner of your high dollar Charvel 375. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Don't be knocking the almighty Charvel company because your particular guitar doesn't have springs under the pickups. Jeeze, Fett, we have AIDS, prostitution, high school dropouts, terrorism, war, drug abuse, and cancer in this world. And you, you have no springs under your fucking single coils. My God, it is the end of the world! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Didn't you hear on the news last night? No springs = end of the world. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Next time you are at work, scrounge around and find some ball point pen with the retractable tip. Open them up and take the springs out. Then place the pens back where you found them. The springs fit nicely and won't cost you a dime (unless your co-workers find out that you are the one destroying the pens!) Crisis averted.

Comment

sigh... that's like whining about no cigarrette lighter when you buy a nice used car.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Gee. I guess I popped your little balloons about the build quality of the almighty Charvel guitar. You are right. I did not buy it new. It is not the end of the world and there are more important things to worry about. Nevertheless, it's still a cheap way to do things. (Who knows? Maybe, it was made in China.)

Comment

If it was made in China, it would be the only one. Every other one was made in Japan. Foam and surgical tubing in some ways are superior to metal springs. Springs can rattle and cause microphonic interference in your signal, whereas foam and surgical tubing cannot. It is simply a different way to build the guitar. Cost and quality of workmanship have nothing to do with it.

Comment

I see your point. Both of my 375 bods had the pups screwed all the way down and compressed the foam. My working guitar had the pups almost 5/8 of an inch away from the strings. It sounds much better now that they are at the correct distance. I had to caress the foam and rotate it to get it to work. Just like on a padded bra, if the foam is compressed it just don't play the same. The surgical tube idea is a winner and I'll do that on my project. I'd better sign off now. "It's the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine."

Comment

Working...
                      X