Series and parellel wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series and parellel wiring

What is the difference between series and parallel wiring and does it affect pickup tone?

Re: Series and parellel wiring

Ya know, that's one I've never been able to figure out either, as they always show those 6-prong on/on/on switches that I just can never find anymore [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I think it only applies to using 2 pickups at once (like 2 hums, or hum and a single), but then I can't be sure. It might affect only one humbucker if it allows you to move the coils between series and parallel with each other. I know swapping the two grounds will switch the pickup's phase with other pickups, but that series/parallel wiring is one I never could "get".

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Series wiring is the standard way humbuckers are wired, that is current flows from one end of the the coil to the other, then the opposite direction in the other coil. In this way, it "bucks hum" cause the two coils are almost cancelling one another out.
      If the coils were wired parallel, you would have current running the same direction through both coils side by side, sounding like a big, fat single coil, cause thats exactly what you have. Two single coils side by side.

There are many options for running multiple pickups in series or parallel.

Comment

BCRichs little mini toggles that what they do, put each pickup in series/parellel, then series parellel or in & out of phse with each other

Comment

I would explain it, but I would need to post diagrams, and I'm way too stoned for that. Maybe tomorrow. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

OKay, maybe I'll try anyway (without the diagrams anyway). Think of it this way, Imagine the coil of a pickup is a piece of pipe, and the current flowing through the pipe is water. If the pipes are in series, the water would flow through one pipe, then through the other pipe as if they were connected end-to-end. If the pipes are in parallel, then the pipes are side by side, and the water can flow through both pipes at the same time. Effectively, twice as much water can flow in the same period of time. This is especially important when talking about resistance.

Phase is actually a different thing altogether. Let's pretend for a second that there is no such thing as a humbucker, and that all pickups have one coil. After all, a humbucker is simply 2 single coils attached together anyway. In a pickup, the wire coil begins at the center of the bobbin, and works it's way outwards as it winds around (or the opposite, depending on which way you look at it). If you had two coils, and both wires started at the center and worked their way outwards, they would be considered in-phase. On the other hand, if the current flowing through one coil started at the center and worked it's way out while the current started at the outside of the other coil, and worked its way inwards, they would be out of phase.

Humbuckers are wired in series, but I can't remember at the moment whether they are in or out of phase.

I'm fucked.

Goodnight all! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
              Imagine the coil of a pickup is a piece of pipe, and the current flowing through the pipe is water. If the pipes are in series, the water would flow through one pipe, then through the other pipe as if they were connected end-to-end. If the pipes are in parallel, then the pipes are side by side, and the water can flow through both pipes at the same time. Effectively, twice as much water can flow in the same period of time. This is especially important when talking about resistance.
              [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Havent been using a bong lately
              by chance, have you [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Hehehe!!

I couldnt resist!!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Also, Usa Jacksons are factory wired in parallel..

I think Series wiring is much better for EMG's which is why the LTD Chlorine Soloists are being wired in that way ;-)

Comment

A strat pick up config is a good way to look at it. I have a set of texas specials in my strat and the middle pickup is wound opposite of the lead and neck pickups. This done so that when the middle and neck or middle and lead are on together there is little hum. The two together wound opposite act as a humbucker. Add a switch to change the phase of the middle pickup adds more tonal capabilities. I used a push/pull on the last tone knob. It's a lot less complicated than it sounds.

Lets let Seymour explain!
                  from seymourduncan.com
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Here's one about in phase/out of phase

more from seymourduncan.com
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

You need to be using at least two pickups together to have the phase changed. When using a phase switch for humbuckers, you need to have both pickups on in the middle position. They're normally run in phase with each other in that position. If you change the wiring to out of phase, then they sound brighter/funkier/nasally, easier to get pinch harmonics out of in the middle position. I had one of my Dinkies wired up that way and really liked it.

As for series/parallel wiring, it's like Chuck said... humbuckers are usually wired in series. When wired in parallel, they sound a little brighter like a bigger single coil, but it also cancels the hum.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Some good info here. Yes, buckers are usually wired in series (and yeah, doing one in parallel often sounds SOMETHING like a single coil). The coils are out of phase both magnetically AND electrically - two negatives make a positive - so the signals end up IN PHASE.

Now that's just one pickup. If you have 2 (or more) pickups, they are normally wired IN PHASE and IN PARALLEL with each other. But yeah, you can wire them out of phase, in series (and every combo of these). Lots of info at www.guitarnuts.com

Comment

Wait... If the coils were electrically out of phase, then no sound would be produced at all, since this would be like a stopping potential. They must be magneticaly out of phase

Comment

Originally posted by The Chase:
                            Wait... If the coils were electrically out of phase, then no sound would be produced at all, since this would be like a stopping potential. They must be magneticaly out of phase
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They are both. Since the magnets are opposite polarity, any string movement in their magnetic field will cause *opposite* current flow in their coils *IF* the coils were wound the same. But the coils are ALSO opposite in polarity, so the signals end up IN PHASE - 2 negatives are a positive, no matter what mom told you. Now, noise does not care about the magnets; it's picked up by the coils (antennas, to some people [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). So the noise IS cancelled.

This is the basic concept behind the humbucker, now almost 50 years old...

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks, man.
                              Does anybody know how to connect two humbuckers in series and out of phase having no more than three holes? I mean I have SLH2T with a 3 way switch for PU's, tone control (I don't use it) and volume. I have an ON/ON/ON 3 way switch, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X