Possible to darken rosewood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to darken rosewood?

Hey guys,I have guitars with both ebony and rosewood fretboards.I definitely like the look of ebony better.All the necks have fins,and some of the rosewood necks are so dark you would swear it's ebony.Some are very light,which I don't care for too much.Is it possible to somehow darken the fretboard in a professional way?Thanks for any help.

Re: Possible to darken rosewood?

Yes! Do a search for some of the following and you are SURE to turn up results:

-Ebonising
    -Ebonizing
    -Dyeing
    -Ebonising fretboard
    -Ebonizing fretboard
    -Dyeing fretboard
    -Ebonising fretboards
    -Ebonizing fretboards
    -Dyeing fretboards

And so forth.

Comment

Thanks bro,my search term showed no hits.I got plenty now,thanks again. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP: JCF Bouncer [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I learn from the master. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I AM quite the firm believer in that proverb that says something to the effect of, "Teach a man to fish and feed him for life", although I forget the first half of that proverb... "Catch a fish for a man and feed him for a day", perhaps? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe it's

Give a man a fish, he'll be fed for a day
            Teach a man to fish, he'll be fed for life

or something like that....anyway it flows better.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Mc:
              Hey guys,I have guitars with both ebony and rosewood fretboards.I definitely like the look of ebony better.All the necks have fins,and some of the rosewood necks are so dark you would swear it's ebony.Some are very light,which I don't care for too much.Is it possible to somehow darken the fretboard in a professional way?Thanks for any help.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">sure, you use stain and it will not get into the inlays unless they are cheapo plastic ones.
              I would mask the inlays then apply te desired stain.

Comment

you may have good results with a dark tinted danish oil. watco makes good stuff, and i know they have a dark walnut tint that may help.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                X