Tuner Substitute.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuner Substitute.

Currently, the tuners on my 7string are grovers. Quite frankly, they suck and I would like to get some upgraded ones. Is there a simple upgrade path to a higher grade without having to redrill the tuner holes. I heard that Gotoh, Schaller, and grovers were interchangable. Is this true?

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

1 Grover are very good tuners you might have to tighten the screws in the tuner button if loose they will cause problems. 2 Yes they are all good tuners.

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
      Currently, the tuners on my 7string are grovers. Quite frankly, they suck and I would like to get some upgraded ones. Is there a simple upgrade path to a higher grade without having to redrill the tuner holes. I heard that Gotoh, Schaller, and grovers were interchangable. Is this true?

-Nate
      Nate,

I know for sure Gotoh (Gotoh, Jackson also) and Planet Waves angle tab screw holes line up with each other. Not sure if the angle tab on Grovers will. Are your's all in line or alternate sides of the headstock? Schaller's have a 90 degree tab on the mini-6's as opposed to the others which have a angle tab.

Also, you might think of using Sperzel's (locking) or Schaller locking tuners. They use a locator hole in the headstock under the tuner machine. (No screws required) There is a roll pin pressed into the bottom of the tuner to keep it from spinning. They are fantastic IMO. Of course, you will have the exposed hole from the Grovers, but you can fill it in with matching wood filler. The Sperzel's come with easy instructions for drilling the shallow locator pin hole. The Sperzel's and Schaller's locking tuners have graduated height's, so in many cases the string trees can be removed.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Bengal, but what about the tuner holes themselves, not the tab screw holes. Are they the same size? To answer your questions, I just included a bunch of pictures just to make sure we were on the same page.

Again, thanks for all your help.

-Nate

Comment

Nate,

No problem with the tuners holes. Grover, Schaller, Gotoh and Sperzel all fit in the same holes. I had just recently installed Sperzels in a Les Paul Custom headstock. It had come with Grover's. Also, imports are typically drilled at 10mm or 25/64".

Warmoth drills a step 11/32 (8.74mm)to 13/32" (10.31mm) on most tuners, with the Sperzel at 25/64" (9.91mm) straight thru. Yours is most likely 10mm give or take if they got some finish in the holes. You can use a tapered reamer obtained from the hardware store for a few bucks if you have any clearance problems. I don't think you will have any problems with any of the tuners you mentioned.

Here's a good reference: http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...eaction=tuners

It looks like the ears on the Gotoh or Planet Waves tuners may work with the Grover screw holes.

Looks like you will need 3 left and 4 right standard size tuners (large knob). The string posts will all be equal length. StewMac maybe the way to go for getting and extra individual tuner with the standard six pack. You probably would have to call them.

I just found some trick Gotoh lockers that will work and you can get a set of 6 and an extra individually (left or right ). http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...Locking-Tuners

Edit: I just really noticed where you are from. I used to work in Campbell and lived in San Jose off of Meridian and Blossom Hill Rd. LOL! Almost 27 years ago that is. Is the Bodega still in Old Campbell? I used to play with a band called Hush and jammed with Alvin Lee there once.
          Last edited by Bengal65; 08-11-2007, 09:17 PM.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Warmoth has a lot of different tuners as well- both left/rights and available as individual for 7 string.

Comment

Wow, thanks to everyone. Especially for the warmoth link. I apprecaite it.

Edit: I just really noticed where you are from. I used to work in Campbell and lived in San Jose off of Meridian and Blossom Hill Rd. LOL! Almost 27 years ago that is. Is the Bodega still in Old Campbell? I used to play with a band called Hush and jammed with Alvin Lee there once.
              Haha... that is funny, I actually live near Campbell avenue right near where Tower Records use to be(just closed this year /cry) Downtown has turned into the new Los Gatos and now property values has gone through the roof. A lot of the old places are still there. Kings Head, Cardiff(been remodeled into a house music club though, use to be a dive for the old folks.) It's really a nice town to live in.

And Marks Guitar repair is still there......

-Nate

Comment

Wow, mini Los Gatos! Is Dan still at Guitar Showcase? He maybe had to retire. He's got to be near 60 years old now, maybe a little older? I bought a new Precision Bass from him in 1976 and used to visit the shop all the way up to 1986 when I finally left the area. In 1977 I traded a 200 watt Sound City stack for a 10th Aniversary Ovation. Not too smart as I look back on it now. But, I was tired of lugging it around

Comment

Working...
                X