How can I tell if..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I tell if..

A guitar was a NAMM display? I have a guy trying to sell me a Jackson that he says was at NAMM back in the 90's.

Is there someone I could contact that could give me the history of a guitar by serial number if in fact it was a NAMM guitar?
    1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    Jackson SLATQH
    Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
    Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
    Jackson DKMGT (project)
    Kramer Focus 1000
    Ibanez SDGR Bass
    Ovation Celebrity
    Martin Backpacker

A lot of "NAMM" guitars seem to end up on the bay, and I've wondered what the dealio is with all that.

Comment

my guy is gonna put his up on ebay if I don't buy it. I just want to make sure that what I might buy is the real deal.
      1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
      Jackson SLATQH
      Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
      Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
      Jackson DKMGT (project)
      Kramer Focus 1000
      Ibanez SDGR Bass
      Ovation Celebrity
      Martin Backpacker

Comment

The only thing I could think of doing is to try to find photos from the NAMM in question. I don't think they have special serials or anything. You could always try emailing Jackson with the serial. They should have records of that sort of thing.
        Scott

Comment

Does it even give the appearance that its something that could be a special NAMM creation? What sort of paint/graphic is on it?
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

-Rick

Comment

My question is what differnce does it make if it was actually at NAMM? How does that make the guitar more valuable?

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                My question is what differnce does it make if it was actually at NAMM? How does that make the guitar more valuable?
                Arent NAMM guitars "Never released before" type? ...brand new varieties? if yes, then this would make the guitar in question one of the first few produced and hence much better in material, quality and workmanship than the ones subsequently mass-produced if the design hit it off. Just a guess..
                Sam

Comment

Everyone wants a guitar with a thousand yard stare

Comment

Some people have made the argument that a NAMM is one of a kind flawless PIECE. For many guitars that may very well be the case, since manufacturers want to show off their stuff and their capabilities.

In my case I own a NAMM guitar that turned out to be a dud. Great looking for sure, but out of the gates I spent close to a $100 of luthier T&M to fix it to a playable level. The dmaned thing was a freaking hazard to play!!! slice your hand kind of beast.
                    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Also keep in mind that not all NAMM guitars have anything special paint wise. Jackson puts on display lots of USA Select series guitars at NAMM in addition to the one off custom creations. I have pictures from the winter NAMM show for the past 5 years, sorry I can't help you with actual pix from years before that since I wasn't there.

Rudy
                      www.wickedrocks.com
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

My black and gold pinstripe RR1 is from Winter NAMM 2006. There is nothing special about the guitar, except Metal Mike borrowed it from the Jackson booth for a Digitech demo. I have the pics from NAMM of the guitar hanging on the wall and a video of Metal Mike playing it at the Digitech booth. I'm glad he didn't scratch it

Also, many times the hang tag is marked in felt tip marker with "NAMM" for J/C internal identification.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

It doesn't mean shit except for bragging rights. Being a NAMM display model only means it got finger fucked by a thousand people before you actually got it.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                            It doesn't mean shit except for bragging rights. Being a NAMM display model only means it got finger fucked by a thousand people before you actually got it.
                            :ROTF: :ROTF:
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                              My black and gold pinstripe RR1 is from Winter NAMM 2006. There is nothing special about the guitar, except Metal Mike borrowed it from the Jackson booth for a Digitech demo. I have the pics from NAMM of the guitar hanging on the wall and a video of Metal Mike playing it at the Digitech booth. I'm glad he didn't scratch it
                              Bwahaha, that was YOURS? Sweet... Well, I got my grubby mitts on it also, as I was tasked by Jackson to deliver the Rhoads to Mike & back from him at the Digitech booth.
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X