Hiss from active electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiss from active electronics

Hey guys, heres my problem, I have a charvel M6, the bridge is a shadow eq-5, and active pickup, the two sc's are stock I was wondering if anyone knew how to stop the hiss that is coming from it, I have tried the onboard NR, the gain booster knob, tried to work without other Pup's and turned everything down alost entirely, this last measure worked pretty well, but I had very little sound

Re: Hiss from active electronics

-is it wired properly?
    -are all the pups active or just one?
    -actice pups are not ment to be mixed with passive ones. doing so would result in unwanted noise.
    -never heard of that pup, it could just suck?

good luck!

~JW
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Active electronics do seem to induce a little hiss due to the battery.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I hear that Eveready makes the quietest batteries... Heehee...

Comment

The culprit could be the stereo jack if it's the original one that's in a plastic box housing. Those were pretty cheaply made and can easliy shortcircuit causing a lot of hum.
          If the hum goes in or out while jiggling the cord in the jack, I'd replace it with a stereo Switchcraft one.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Have you determined if it is a ground issue or are the grounds all good???

Just checking as I may have some tech tips if thats the case...

But otherwise.. I would agree with Toejam and Dreamland_Rebel [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
              Yeah, I hear that Eveready makes the quietest batteries... Heehee...
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean Neveready? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

how do you check grounding and everything? I am not sure about some electronics stuff yet, how much would it cost to just have a tech look at it and see what it is?

Comment

improper grounding does not cause hiss. It is certainly your preamp. Since you have a mix of "active" and passive pickups you most likely either have a bad preamp circuit or a bad pickup. Try bypassing the preamp and using the pickups as strictly passive.

Comment

true true.. I ignored hiss..

Comment

Working...
                    X