Buffing out a solid color finish??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing out a solid color finish??

Hey...I've heard you guys talk about buffing out finishes to get out pick swirls and other imperfections out of guitars.

What is a good rubbing compound or product to do that which won't eat the finish/clearcoat and what kind of buffer is best (speed, type, what type of head to use on the buffer etc.).

What is the best way to achieve good results with the above products [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I know it seems like a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask here as you guys are the duty experts at this, I've never done it.

Thanks.

Re: Buffing out a solid color finish??

go to pep boys and get a 6" random orbital buffer. they're about 20-30 bucks or so. grab some 3m perfect-it and finesse-it rubbing compounds, and you'll be fine.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, thanks for the response [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

What type of head should I use on the buffer [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Any other tips??

Comment

it should come with an applicator pad (the ones i use are blue, and kind of a mesh)and a few terrycloth pads. if not, you can find them easily at pep boys, or home depot.

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The buffer above and a few polish compounds will do the trick. The buffer also works nice if you have a rushed guitar. Some of my guitars came to me with rushed factory finishes that were not allowed to fully cure before buff out, so they have a medium orange peel texture and are kind of dull. I don't even need to sand them, the buffer with some 3M fine cut smooths it out nicely. Now if it could only fix the squashed finish under the parts....

Comment

i use the swirl remover from Stewart Macdonald, and the buffing pad that they have.

Comment

the one that goes on the power drill? i tried that a few years ago and burned the living daylights out of the finish. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] totally user error, but the thing that i like about the buffer is that i don't believe it goes fast enough to burn through anything.

sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had to replace my buffer a few weeks ago. I found this one at my local hardware store:

It was $24.99 and came with two or three different pads. This is a great unit. It feels solid and has a nice long cord (most under $30 have a really short cord). It does a great job on poly and isn't too fast or powerful for nitrocellulose. For $24.99 it is a no-brainer. Besides, if you only buff out one guitar, use it on your car to take out scratches.

Comment

Cool...thanks to Sully and Jim....

Bob...for small scratches/dings etc. I use the Dunlop products, which are fine for that use...

I was more talking along the lines that if you have an older guitar that has been played a lot and the finish looks like hell, what is the quickest/best method to get out the imperfections.

My 87 Dinky Strat has been played (and I do mean played) and the finish needs some resurection.

Comment

BIG THANKS TO SULLY AND JIM SHINE [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] !!

I picked up a 6" buffer and assorted pads and rubbing compound at my local Auto Zone(we don't have a local Pep Boys [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] )

The whole thing cost me about $30 for everything [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

As a test, I picked my worst guitar (finish wise, so no wise cracks [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] ). My Les Paul is thrashed from years of use. The back of it looked like a piece of leather (you know, will all the vein marks etc.) and it had a lot of scratches, dings, dents, small gouges, you name it, it had it.

Well, with the advice of Sully and Jim, I buffed, and buffed, and buffed some more for shits and giggles...then proceeded to polish it several times and finally ended up with McGuires auto polish....WOW [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] !! this thing is shining like a diamond in a goats ass [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I am totally satisfied with the results and can't thank you 2 enough
                    Sully, could you put this as a sticky topic

Comment

glad it worked out for ya! i stumbled across the idea when i had my friends 1971 les paul custom. the finish was so nasty and it wouldn't clean up very well at all. so i disassembled it and buffed it only using mother's pre wax cleaner. here's a pics of it after...and look at the shine on it... not bad for a guitar that old:

anyway, glad it went well for you!

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                      X