Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I have to know before building a guitar cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I have to know before building a guitar cab?

Hi everyone!

I was thinkig of building my cabinet too, since I saw so many of you, who know, how to build it.

What kind of wood is the best for a cabinet? What tickness?
    I was thinking of classic 4x12 cabinet. What are the measures of an angled type?
    Can you post the dimension in centimetres, please?

I was planning to put in Celestion Vintage 30. After googling a bit, I saw that they come in 16 and 8 Ohm version. My amp is currently 4 Ohm, but I want to make my cab work so, that I could switch between the resistance (just in case, if I buy 8 or 16 Ohm amp). Would playing with 4 Ohm amp on 8 Ohm speakers harm anything?

Does anyone have the wiring scheme?

This is my first step (the decision making), so come with as many informations as possible.

Thanks for your participation.

Re: What I have to know before building a guitar cab?

I just about finished building mine. See here: http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=12;t=001946

Here are the dimensions:

width - 30" (762mm)
    height - 29.5" (749mm)
    depth at bottom - 14" (356mm)
    depth at top - 11" (279mm)

The cab is straight up to half way, and then angles backwards at approx 12.5 degrees.

I used 3/4" void free 11 ply birch.

If your amp has a 4 ohm output, then the best way to match that would be 4 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel.

Let's take some possible scenarios.

4 - 16 ohm speakers
    -wired in series = 64 ohms
    -wired in parallel = 4 ohms
    -wired in series/parallel = 16 ohms
    (series/parallel mean 2 pairs of series wired speakers, wired in parallel)

4 - 8 ohm speakers
    -wired in series = 32 ohms
    -wired in parallel = 2 ohms
    -wired in series/parallel = 8 ohms

4 - 4 ohm speakers
    -wired in series = 16 ohms
    -wired in parallel = 1 ohm
    -wired in series/parallel = 4 ohms

So, technically you could use 4 - 4 ohm speakers, but I imagine they are much less common than 16 ohm speakers. 8 ohm are out of the question for your application.

Some cabinets are wired to a switch that offers a choice of settings.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

If you need a wiring diagram, I can draw something up for you. Let me know.

Comment

My Peavey Butcher cab has the cloth speaker grille, and it is about 1/2" away from the speaker baffles. it is supported at the angle in the baffles by 1/2" thick strips of wood attached to the baffles.

I wouldn't go much further than 1/2" because the further back you mount the baffles, the more you reduce the internal volume of the cabinet, ultimately affecting the sound of the cab.

The one I built has a perforated steel grille, and it is mounted right to the front of the baffles, and is screwed on using washer head screws.

Comment

PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you the wiring diagram.

Comment

Oh, and as far as what you will need for wiring, other than the speakers, you will need the following:

approx. 2m of 14 or 16ga wire
            16 - #16 female crimp-on spade connectors
            crimping tool
            1/4" input jack

You could solder the wires on to the speakers, but I prefer the spade connectors. that way it's easier to re-wire it in the future, or change speakers.

Comment

The cab that comes with TF700 (head), which is exactly the same as TF300 (combo), is 8 Ohm. How come? There says only 4 Ohm on amp.

Comment

What head is that? Is it solid state?

I believe that solid state amps can safely run a higher impedance cabinet, just not one of lower impedance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                  If you need a wiring diagram, I can draw something up for you. Let me know.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would be very thankful! What do I need for wiring, except wires, speakers and input jacks?

Do you have any ideas how to make front panel with netlike tilt over the speakers? I was thinking of placing the speakers and inch or two deeper to the cab.

Comment

I recommend using 3/5" baltic birch plywood for the cabinet.

Speakers and ohms were covered pretty well by Zeegler.

I personally would put in 90 watt Celestians (may have to get them from Mesa)
                    and run it 8/16ohm.

Have fun and post pics when its complete.

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The TF700 is a Laney Tube Fusion hybrid. So solid state power, a single 12ax7 in the preamp.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Try Oak for the cabinet, or maybe mahogany? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        I had a set of Acoustic Research AR-2a speakers made with solid Oak, and those things kicked ass. They were made in the 50's.

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I believe that solid state amps can safely run a higher impedance cabinet, just not one of lower impedance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am afraid to ask, but what actually is a solid state? I'm not very sure if my data is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars:
                            I recommend using 3/5" baltic birch plywood for the cabinet.

Speakers and ohms were covered pretty well by Zeegler.

I personally would put in 90 watt Celestians (may have to get them from Mesa)
                            and run it 8/16ohm.

Have fun and post pics when its complete.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Interesting. Maybe I will be putting 90w Celestions. I've found out that Celestion Vintage 30 is very cheap here (89 USD). How's with the price in USA?

Comment

Solid State = Transistor (no tubes for the power amp or preamp - Hybrids have a tube preamp and Transistor power amp)

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X