comparing pick-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing pick-ups

my questions is when comparing pick ups, say from dimarzios web site, the higher the output # the louder the pick up? and what does dc resistance have to do with it? and while i'm at it what about the magnet?

thanks
    jon
    Last edited by jonsgon; 08-07-2007, 11:22 PM.

Pickups in general will not be much louder then the other unless its like a single coil compared to a humbucker. DC Resistance tells you how much output the pickup puts out. The higher the resistance, the higher the output. Higher output pickups push an amp harder for more distortion and are better for metal and hard rock. They also tend to have a "tighter" sound. Med output pickups are geared towards the blues and classic rock. A number of neck pickups are in the medium output range as well. Low output pickups are geared more to blues; most seem to be neck pickups or conventional single coils.

In terms of sound, your best bet is to ask around for opinions. The only real way however is to plug in and try 'em out.

Comment

Ceramic magnets will generally be brighter in tone with more presence and sometimes crushing output. Alnico IV magnets are going to give the pickup a warmer sound, and Alnico II a warm/vintage sound. Not necessarily less output though, the Duncan Custom Custom has Alnico pickups but rates almost as high as the Duncan Invader (ceramic magnet) in DC resistance.

Check Duncans' website, he has a good description of what makes a pickup the way it is...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

thanks fellas, great info........

one reason i'm askin is i have two guitars both relatively the same in construction and have the very same pup but have diff. sounds......and i never knew how to pick a pick up i just bought one and threw it in

thanks again
        jon

Comment

From ohm's law, V(voltage) is proportional to R(resistance). Assuming the current is constant, it becomes V=IR. Now,as we all know, a pickup is magnet wound with copper wires which creates a magnetic field around itself. when a ferro-magnetic (guitar strings) material moves in this field, current is produced. the amount of current is determined by the strings, the magnet and finally the copper wires. Assuming the former two are constant, the only variable in the IR part is the resistance which is what they are talking about on the pickup websites. So, if you get a higher resistance pickup, the voltage produced is more and that is called higher output pickup.

electrical engineers please correct me if this theory is flawed or I'm BS'ing. What do I know? I'm just a mechanical engineer.

as far as your two guitars, many have said it before. no two guitars will sound alike. your observation is just a testament of the fact.
          Sam

Comment

emperor_black has the theory right but comes to the wrong conclusion.

The fact is that Voltage is NOT output. Current is output. The reason pickups with high resistances usually have high outputs is because more wire around the magnet generally means more resistance. That is why "overwound" pickups have a higher output.

Resistance is correlated to output most of the time but DiMarzio is correct in making a distinction between resistance and output.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
              Alnico IV magnets are going to give the pickup a warmer sound, and Alnico II a warm/vintage sound.
              Yeah, but who uses Alnico IV (4) ? The typical is Alnico II or V (5). DiMarzio uses either ceramic or Alnico V for their humbuckers. There's also been Alnico 3, 4 and 8 magnets used, but that's not quite the norm these days.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just to chime in with my own two cents...

High output is nice, but don't expect to get a clean sound without turning down the volume knob. Duncan's site has sound clips of each pickup played on the same guitar with the same amp, so it really gives you a good idea of what the different magnets and outputs sound like.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post

as far as your two guitars, many have said it before. no two guitars will sound alike. your observation is just a testament of the fact.

Totally true with ONE exception- Active EMG's have the same stale sound in *any* axe!
                  hehehehe!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Postal View Post
                    Totally true with ONE exception- Active EMG's have the same stale sound in *any* axe!
                    hehehehe!!!!
                    You've obviously never played more than one guitar with EMGs, have you?
                    Their sound is more consistent from guitar to guitar, but the guitar wood still plays a factor.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X