scalloped fret boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scalloped fret boards?

I'm completely ignorant on the subject. Never touched one.
    Can you tell me what the advantages are,disadvantages?
    Peace
    www.thejimmyhatz.com

I dunno man. Apparently is easier to fret a note because you don't need to use that much pressure and some of my friends who like scallops say that it's easier to bend strings higher up on the fretboard. Personally, I don't like the feel.

There are probably some gurus on the board who can clarify my lame explanation further.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

The "feel" is that there is no feel you don't touch the fretboard at all. It's more or less like playing extra jumbo frets vs. playing small frets

Comment

I can't really say if it makes playing something easier or is better for certain things, but I played a Hamer that had its board scalloped where it started at like the 7th fret with a very subtle scallop and got deeper the further down you went. The reason for this I believe is to address one common complaint about scalloped fret boards: It makes chords harder as its easier to slip and bend the strings slightly. So that way its scalloped where you would make use of it (down lower) and it isn't where you don't really need it.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
          The "feel" is that there is no feel you don't touch the fretboard at all. It's more or less like playing extra jumbo frets vs. playing small frets
          This topic has been explored here in depth before. Basically, it's like thetroy said, there is no friction with the board and a lighter touch is required. Faster playing can be had with a scalloped fretboard (IMHO). The first 3 frets need a noticably lighter touch to avoid bending the notes out of tune since the tension in the strings is the least here.

You also have the option of bending notes by pushing down on the strings instead of pulling up or bending the string downward. The pushing down can give you little sutleties that you can't get by bending up and down.

When going from a standard fretboard to a scalloped one, and back, you have to make a little mental note as to the differences. It took me about 5 minutes to get the hang of it.

I have 2 guitars with scalloped boards, one is a YJM Signature Fender USA Strat, the other is a custom build with a Warmoth scalloped neck. They are fun too play.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have always wanted a scalloped neck, but haven't bought one yet. Maybe a little ways down the road.
            1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            Jackson SLATQH
            Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
            Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
            Jackson DKMGT (project)
            Kramer Focus 1000
            Ibanez SDGR Bass
            Ovation Celebrity
            Martin Backpacker

Comment

I can't wait until I get home . I had a gunslinger with the lower frets scalloped delivered today. I hope I like it.:ROTF:

Comment

I have one guitar that is scalloped from the 12th fret up and I really like it. Many people who play it like it too. I tried a YJM many years ago and it felt funky to fret chords on it. So I am not a big fan of the fully scalloped necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbug View Post
                  I have one guitar that is scalloped from the 12th fret up and I really like it. Many people who play it like it too. I tried a YJM many years ago and it felt funky to fret chords on it. So I am not a big fan of the fully scalloped necks.
                  Stinker!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

My main stage player is an 89 Rhoads with factory scalloped 12-22 frets. I don't really feel a difference when playing it and I don't think it makes me any faster. I personally see no difference, well with the exception of the fact that if you press hard enough on a string you can "bend" the note up slightly. I bought the guitar from a friend of mine who originally ordered it new that way. My personal feeling is that I wouldn't pay the extra money to have a scalloped fretboard if I was ordering it new myself but now that its here I don't really notice the scalloped frets when I play.

Rudy
                    www.wickedrocks.com
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I've got Fender Malmsteen. It is not easier or more difficult to play, just a bit different: the action is somewhat higher, sustain's better, more singing, vibrato is more pronounced and vocal-like, notes seem to be less muffled (not touching wood as much?). At least it seems to be easier to get it like this. And you feel you grab the strings more.

Comment

scalloped fretboards all the way up= Love.

i love the touch and feel from owning two.

the only hard thing was bumping when sliding around on the 'board.

God love 'em, though.
                        Last edited by Seventh Avenged; 08-09-2007, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X