Kahler Steeler/OFR/Schaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Steeler/OFR/Schaller

I might be thinking about replacing the chrome Kahler Steeler with a balck OFR or Schaller. My question is, will it be a direct placement with the spacings, or will it not work without heavy mods to the guitar?

Re: Kahler Steeler/OFR/Schaller

It's a direct replacement, my buddy did the same thing on his Fender HM Strat. What's wrong with the Kahler? I may be interested in buying it if you are selling, let me know... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with the Kahler that I know of. I haven't had a chance to set everything up and put it through its paces yet. But, the guitar has black hardware with the chrome bridge. I think I just might like a black bridge as well.

Comment

The Kahler Steeler is a great trem, but parts may be a little difficult to find, but not impossible. I can understand you wanting to match the hardware colors, but the Steeler is a great trem, but was short lived, I beleive Floyd may have sued them or? Jack.

Comment

As much as I hate to suggest, might you want to scour eBay or some other parts sources for a black Steeler for your guitar? It is a very good trem. I've got Steelers on two of my guitars and I like them quite a bit.
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by John D.:
            As much as I hate to suggest, might you want to scour eBay or some other parts sources for a black Steeler for your guitar? It is a very good trem. I've got Steelers on two of my guitars and I like them quite a bit.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, it looks like there is a black Steeler on the 'bay at the moment: Kahler on the 'bay And this one apparently has an Autolatch on it.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that earlier. I just don't have the cash for it right now. Who knows, I may decide to keep it in the end. By the way, what is that autolatch thing. I think that mine has one, but I'm not sure quite what it does as I have not really toyed around with it yet. Does it block the trem in a way?

Comment

Originally posted by Travis:
                Yeah, I saw that earlier. I just don't have the cash for it right now. Who knows, I may decide to keep it in the end. By the way, what is that autolatch thing. I think that mine has one, but I'm not sure quite what it does as I have not really toyed around with it yet. Does it block the trem in a way?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's some info on the Auto-Latch available via download here: <a href="http://www.axeparts.net/downloads.htm" target="_blank">
                Kahler downloads</a> According to the lit, it's a locking device that turns the bridge into a "fixed bridge" for maintaining tuning during string breakage, note bending and palm muting. Given the recent discussion here about the Tremsetter, this is sort of an alternative to that. The mechanism is activated and deactivated by moving the trem arm into different positions. I've never used one but I like the idea a lot. I'd like to have it on my guitars with the Steelers.

By the way, the same site is offering black frames for the Steeler for $60. Maybe that would fit your budget?

[ May 16, 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: John D. ]

Comment

The distance from the center of each knife edge to the other on a Floyd is 74.3 mm. So the same measurement should apply for the middle of post-to-middle of post spacing [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Why do I know this? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I need a life [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think it's a direct swap. Isn't the post spacing on a Floyd 3 inches?
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                    X