FR recessed and non-recessed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR recessed and non-recessed??

Hi, I just wanna know whats going on with those two bridges (maybe some pics)? And what is the difference between MOP and MOTO inlays?

MOTO inlays are made out of plastic and don't look very nice. They can be found on import Jackson guitars since 1995 or so to this day.

MOP inlays are made out of real pearl and look really shiny and beautiful. You can find them on all USA Jacksons and early Professional series.

I'll write more about recessed/non recessed floyd later and add some pics - if someone doesn't beat me ofcourse.

Comment

Someone else will surely be along with pictures, but here's my take on the recessed vs. non-recessed floyd thing.

Recessed floyds are like what Jackson Soloists currenclty have. They are flush with the body. The neck and the body can be in a straight line (not much of an angle between them) and the strings are close the body. Most "shred" or "metal" guitars with floyd-type bridges have them recessed (Jackson, Ibanez, Carvin, ESP, the list goes on and on).

Non recessed floyds sit up above the surface of the body. The neck has to be angled back from the body so that you can still get low action and the strings sit higher above the body. Many manufactures install non-recessed floyds without a back route, but there is nothing about the design that prohibits having a back route (for example Hamer installs all their floyds so they are non-recessed, but they all have back routes for pulling up).

Personally, I love floyds, but only if they are non-recessed and back-routed. I like having the neck angled back (puts it in a more comfortable position for my fretting hand) and having my hand higher up off the body makes picking more comfortable. Basically, it lets me use the same playing mechanics as if I were playing a setneck guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge. Unfortunately, I can't think of a current production guitar with a non-recessed back-routed floyd bridge. Fortunately, I like Hamers and have a few used ones and a custom order one with the floyds I like. And even more fortunately, I have a used Jackson Archtop Soloist with the non-recessed back-routed floyd. So, I'm all set.

-Austin

Comment

Nazgul and atquinn, perfect explanations bros!

Comment

Ok, thanks, but can You tell me which one I have?
          http://cgi.ebay.pl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=ADME:B:AAQ::1
          thats my guitar

Comment

If you'd read both of our replies, you would have known answers to your questions already...your guitar has MOTO inlays and a recessed floyd rose.

Here's how non-recessed floyd rose looks (this one has no back route):

Comment

Sorry for that but I dont know english very well and just wanna be sure

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                If you'd read both of our replies, you would have known answers to your questions already...your guitar has MOTO inlays and a recessed floyd rose.

Here's how non-recessed floyd rose looks (this one has no back route):

ok, thanks photo talks a lot and I couldnt figure out what "route" means

Comment

How 'bout some Mojo pictures?

Floyd Non Recessed Rout.

Floyd Recessed Rout

Comment

Thanks Slash photos helps a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X