Floyd Rose question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose question...

Has anyone here installed the non-fine-tuning version of a Floyd Rose in a guitar?

I was considering replacing the Wilkinson in my JRS-2 with one. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth my time or not.
    Occupy JCF

Re: Floyd Rose question...

Not sure if you realize it, but the Floyd is not a "drop in" replacement for the Wilky. The post spacings are different for one thing.

Comment

IMO, its not worth it. I'd stick with the Wilkenson. If you use a locking nut with it, you have to pre-compensate your tuning for the pitch of the strings before you lock them down - this is dicey at best. And if you don't use a locking nut, you're only going to have about the same wham-bobulating ability as with a vintage or two-post vintage style. If you dive bomb or pull all the way back, it will still have the same nut/tuner return to pitch problems.

I think they look cool, though.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, what Shreddermon said. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you want something that's similar to the Wilky but you cut the balls off like on the Floyd, try to see about those Fender/Floyd trems... they might fit, since it's about the same size and similar shape as a Wilky.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I realize that they're not direct replacements, I was just throwing around the idea. I know there would be some re-drilling involved, but if the routes are similar, I might look to obtain one and run with it.

On my JRS-2 there is no locking nut. Although I do have Sperzels on it.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

when i got my fractured glass charvel, someone had replaced the floyd with a wilkinson...so i re-replaced it with a floyd...i had someone fill the post holes for the wilk, redrill the floyd post holes and it dropped right in...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Does anyone know if the Original non-fine tuning Floyd Rose and the current Original Floyd Rose have the same dimensions?
              Occupy JCF

Comment

should be...my old blue and white charvel had a non-fine tuning floyd, it got replaced with a locking floyd...i never should have sold it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I had one on a guitar that was tune down 1/2 step and low Eb down to C#, I had locking tuners and a graphite nut that I oiled the hell out of. Live it would stay in tune for about 2 tunes, I strung it withs 12's. The tone was great, but tuning was averge.
                  www.kiddhavok.com
                  www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I think they are they may be the same dimensions as far as the mounting posts go. If you are going with a Floyd why not just install the FRO with fine tuners? You could use the Sperzels or put a Kahler behind the nut locker on there. Do you have a non fine tuning Floyd that you already have or something? I think it would be a PITA without the fine tuners...IMHO
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                      I think they are they may be the same dimensions as far as the mounting posts go. If you are going with a Floyd why not just install the FRO with fine tuners? You could use the Sperzels or put a Kahler behind the nut locker on there. Do you have a non fine tuning Floyd that you already have or something? I think it would be a PITA without the fine tuners...IMHO
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've wanted to try an OFR without fine tuners for a long time, and since this guitar would probably be the best candidate for one, I thought I'd discuss and research the idea.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

I had a non fine-tuning Floyd on an old Kramer in the '80s... it was okay. I'd say it's comparable to a Wilky, except you just cut the ball end off the strings. Not really much of a big deal, IMO. I'd just go with a regular Floyd and getting the added fine-tuning ability.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Fine-tuning without the nut is pointless, IMO.
                          As for dimensions, yes they are the same. I had an original 80's non-fine-tuning Floyd on that Warmoth Zebra Star with the AT-1 neck, which was originally ordered with a new OFR, and the post spacing was identical.

Plus, the trem floated, and did get a pretty good warble [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree with Newc. I never saw the sense in putting the Floyds on Carvins without locking nuts, just Sperzels.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

I have a JRS-1 and a JRS-2.. myself, I prefer the wilks on these. I also have a few of the older non fine tuner floyds which are the same post spacing as a floyd with fine tuners.

It's up to you.. but as already mentioned.. you'd need to fill and redrill. I would think the older floyd would feel way different than a wilk tho, much heavier/bulky. Don't you have a Fusion you could try this on? I'm exchanging the floyd 2 on my special for the older type floyd.

Comment

Working...
                              X