setting up a floyd not to float!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up a floyd not to float!!!

Hi i have a dk2 with dd pickups in and want to stop the floyd floating as much as i can so it might be easier to change strings and i dont use the whammy either.I have looked in the back and there are 3 trem springs in.What do i do please help
    Dk2 pro in black
    Marshall jcm900 4502dr
    Marshall vs200 avt100
    and diamonds and rust.....

There are some tips in this thread...
    http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72561

Comment

You will have to downtune ALL of the strings until they are ALL completely loose. Then tune the strings back up to the correct pitches once the tremelo is resting against the guitar. You might have to then re-adjust the intonation.

To put the tremelo back into the floating position (so that is it paralel with the guitar's body), hold the trem-bar with one hand so that the bridge is in the correct position. This will completely make the strings go slack. While holding the trem-bar with one hand, tighten ALL of the strings with your other hand until then tuning is correct. This double-handed stunt is a little awkward at first since you will have to keep your trem-hand steady.

I do this with my cheapie Ibanez, and it works fine.

Cheers

Comment

Or just shove a wood shim between the back side of the trem block and the body. That's an easy way...

There is also a device out there called the Tremol-No, it attaches to the block and the trem claw screw like a spring and locks it in place. Cool thing about that is you can un-lock it with a twist of a screw and have it floating again in 2 seconds...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red View Post
          You will have to downtune ALL of the strings until they are ALL completely loose. Then tune the strings back up to the correct pitches once the tremelo is resting against the guitar. You might have to then re-adjust the intonation.

To put the tremelo back into the floating position (so that is it paralel with the guitar's body), hold the trem-bar with one hand so that the bridge is in the correct position. This will completely make the strings go slack. While holding the trem-bar with one hand, tighten ALL of the strings with your other hand until then tuning is correct. This double-handed stunt is a little awkward at first since you will have to keep your trem-hand steady.
          I would discourage any guitar noob from taking that approach. Frustrating, potentially damaging to the guitar (with the trem lowered until it rests on the guitar), and time consuming.

There is plenty of information restringing, maintaining, setting up & blocking Floyds in the tech section.

or you could try this video tutorial instead. Go to whoa in 8 minutes:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4
          Last edited by VitaminG; 08-03-2007, 07:41 PM.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Cheers
            What a great informative first post. You really have no clue, do you? A DK2 has a recessed trem, so it will be pulled back and resting in the cavity. Not a good idea. Also, if you loosen all the strings then tune them back up to pitch, you realize the trem will go back to exactly where it was, right? Jeez, some people's kids.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              What a great informative first post. You really have no clue, do you? A DK2 has a recessed trem, so it will be pulled back and resting in the cavity. Not a good idea. Also, if you loosen all the strings then tune them back up to pitch, you realize the trem will go back to exactly where it was, right? Jeez, some people's kids.
              i nearly wee ed myself:ROTF: .i might not no nothing about floyds but i aint stupid(wife might disagree).Goin to save up for a dk2t should be able to get one just b4 or after xmas.In the meantime i will perservear and learn about the floyds on my dk2.I love u toejam
              Dk2 pro in black
              Marshall jcm900 4502dr
              Marshall vs200 avt100
              and diamonds and rust.....

Comment

Cheers
                He's got to be joking or he is working in the circus:ROTF: Maybe on the tight rope routine?
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Actually I DO have a clue. I have had NO problems reseting the trem properly and maintain the proper tuning stability after doing this. It is basic. It isn't curing cancer....if you can't do it, then YOU are the NOOB.

To toejam, maiden666, and Bengal65: grow-up.... I was trying to offer the guy a viable alternative that WORKS. You are more then welcome to continue hiding behind your keyboards like a coward while shooting your mouth-offs in a cowardly fashion, but save your forum politics for your little tree-house club. And let me assure you, if I was standing right in front of you, you wouldn't be shooting your mouths off the way you did. Cowards. And thanks for the "welcome-to-the-forum" comments.... assholes.

Comment

"illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Actually I DO have a clue. I have had NO problems reseting the trem properly and maintain the proper tuning stability after doing this. It is basic. It isn't curing cancer....if you can't do it, then YOU are the NOOB.

To toejam, maiden666, and Bengal65: grow-up.... I was trying to offer the guy a viable alternative that WORKS. You are more then welcome to continue hiding behind your keyboards like a coward while shooting your mouth-offs in a cowardly fashion, but save your forum politics for your little tree-house club. And let me assure you, if I was standing right in front of you, you wouldn't be shooting your mouths off the way you did. Cowards. And thanks for the "welcome-to-the-forum" comments.... assholes.
                      You obviously have no clue, because that's not how you properly do it. Have fun screwing up your action, trem posts and possibly knife edges. Looks like you won't be here very long.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks like you won't be here very long.
                        Your right, see ya.

Comment

His parents never taught him any manners.
                          I would think on a recessed trem if you let the trem rest on the body your strings would be resting on the frets.I'll bet he tunes his Ibby to drop Q.
                          Anyone want to bet he paints his fingernails black?
                          See Ya toad ass!!
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I really thought he was joking on his first post, because the description makes absolutely no sense at all.

I second the wood block method as least expensive or the Tremol-No, if you want to eventually want the Floyd to dive only or go back to a full floater.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

You can block your trem several ways (as mentioned).
                              Here's another way using parts you can find at Home Depot for under $1.

Assembled ...

And installed ...

There seem to be alot of egotistical know-it-alls on this forum that will argue what's "right" and what's "wrong" ... you do what's best for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X