Wiring assistance- HS w/ a 5 way + 1 vol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring assistance- HS w/ a 5 way + 1 vol

Guys, I have a Fender HM strat that's electrically a little jacked.

It has a 5 way selector and a Hum in the bridge and a single in the neck and only one volume.
    Originally, it was an HSS config, 5 way 1 Vol and 2 tone (with the fender TBX) and a coil splitter.
    Now, the way it's wired up, the middle PU and the 2 tones and the splitter are gone. It works, but If you use the position which should be the hum (lower 2) it sounds like an AM radio. The two upper positions (toward the neck) are much more full sounding.
    I wrote out a wiring digram, but don't have a scanner on me to post it.
    Here's my best description of the way it's put together:
    the 5 way has 8 solder pads (in-line)
    I will number them 1-8 (1 being closest to the neck)
    Pads number 4 and 5 are joined to each other, and connect to the volume pot.
    Pads 6 and 7 are joined to each other, but nothing else (this is where I think my problem is)
    The lowest pad (8) is attached to nothing.
    The uppermost pad (1) is attached to the blue wire off of the neck posiiton single coil.
    The second pad is attached to nothing.
    The third pad is attached to the black wire from the 'DiMarizo Super 3' (seems like it should be on 6-7?).

The green and red wires from the 'super 3' are not attached to anything.
    The Bare and White wires from the 'super 3' are attached to the outside of the pot.

The center lead from the volume control is attached to the output jack.

The last leg of the volume pot is grounded to the body of the pot.

The black, white, and bare wires of the single coil are attached to the body of the volume pot.

My question is, how do I wire it up 'normally' without the single coil, splitter, and tone knobs?

What impedence volume pot would you use if you were to replace it(250k or 500k?) Im leaning to 500, cause I rarely use the neck PU.

Would you put in a middle PU, or change to a three way switch?

I personally would like to not swap any parts and wire it for
    1)all the way down - hum
    2)split hum (not necessary)
    3)off
    4)blend (H-S)
    5)single

can anyone help me?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Wiring assistance- HS w/ a 5 way + 1 vol

Sounds like the DiMarzio hum was wired following Duncan's color scheme, which is incorrect.
    DiMarzio's main output is Red, with Black and White as the splits - Green and Bare are ground (reverse Black and Green for phase inversion).

So, the tabs of the switch should be:
    -1(closest to neck)-Hum Red
    -2-Pot Casing (for Off)
    -3-Single Blue
    -4-Volume center
    -5-nothing
    -6-nothing
    -7-nothing
    -8-nothing
    This wiring scheme will give you:
    1-Bridge
    2-Off
    3-Off
    4-Off
    5-Neck
    Because of the design of the switch.

The way a standard 5-way switch works is like this:
    Pos 1=Tab 1
    Pos 2=Tab 1+Tab 2
    Pos 3=Tab 2
    Pos 4=Tab 2+Tab 3
    Pos 5=Tab 3

You only have 3 tabs with a bridge between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 to make connections 2 and 4, which is why Strats are typically wired as:
    1=Bridge
    2=Bridge+Middle
    3=Middle
    4=Middle+Neck
    5=Neck

Tabs 5-8 are duplicates of tabs 1-4, just reversed (tab 8 = tab 1), and the internal connections are:
    1-8
    2-7
    3-6
    4-5

Tabs 4 & 5 are your Output tabs, and 1-3 and 6-8 are your pickups.

Since you want one position to be a Kill Switch (Off), you can't have a Blend position, but you get 3 Kills. If you want it to Blend, you don't get a Kill Switch function, but you get 3 Blends.

You could wire it like this:
    Tab-----Pickup
    1-------Bridge
    2-------Bridge split + Neck split
    3-------Neck
    4-------Output
    and leave 5-8 empty (or join 4&5)

Which would give you:
    1-Bridge Full
    2-Bridge+split neck
    3-Split Bridge + Split Neck
    4-Split Bridge + Neck
    5-Neck Full

Positions 2 and 4 may give you Full of one pickup and Split of the other, or it may Split both - it's been a while since I wired one like that and I can't recall offhand how it came out.

And you should go with a 500K Volume.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply Newc!
      I will give it a try this evening.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

NewC, you're an F-n genius!
        Well at least you know something about wiring I don't.
        I ended up getting back in business by soldering black and white together, and putting green to the back of the pot and red to the 3rd position on the selector (you suggested position 1, but blue from the single coil is at one and I wanted to minmize the solder-work on this test run)
        I ended up with a simple setup - (hum, kill, neck), maybe later I'll add the coil splitting and blend. Right now, I've got two effective sounds coming from this thing.
        Me likes the super 3, I've only played it through a Marshall lead 12 and a Boss DS-1 so far. Real easy to squeal (pinch) with and lots of midrange.
        Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X