in search of a pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in search of a pickup

Im looking for a pickup that can easily give me that really deep awesome harmonic squeal when i do an artificial harmonic on the low E, sort of like Zakk Wylde, what he always does, but I dont want to go the EMG route. Ive tried them and they are a little too "death metal" for me. I still want to hear every note when i hit that D power chord in the 1st position, but i want that god damn deep harmonic squeal.

Ive been thinking something with the tone of a JB or J50BC, but with more output/gain? what do you all think?

Re: in search of a pickup

Dimarzio X2N.

---------------

Cut thread here.

Comment

Duncan Distortion, best metal riffing pickup ever. I've got one in my 650xl and it squeals like a pig. Sure has a pretty mouth, too.

Comment

DiMarzio Super Distortion or X2N.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

super 3

Comment

whats a super 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Travis:
              Duncan Distortion, best metal riffing pickup ever. I've got one in my 650xl and it squeals like a pig. Sure has a pretty mouth, too.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Trav...that was my line!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Sorry, Mark. It just sounded right.

Comment

You may want to also consider the DiMarzio Steve Morse bridge model.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
                    whats a super 3?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a DiMarzio pickup (model number DP152F) that was used in Fender's HM Strat. Here's a link to read a little more about it: DiMarzio website and then scroll down to select the "Super 3" from the humbucker list.

Comment

The Super 3 is also in Jackson's PC1 model. It's got the same power as the Super Distortion, just more midrange. The same thing with the Super 2, just that has more treble. They're not listed on DiMarzio's site or catalog any more, but they still make them. Go over to www.harmony-central.com and look at the reviews of pickups to get an idea of what they sound like.

Comment

PAF on steriods = APC Felony X
                        EMG on Steroids = APC Persuader Lead custom
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                          The Super 3 is also in Jackson's PC1 model. It's got the same power as the Super Distortion, just more midrange. The same thing with the Super 2, just that has more treble. They're not listed on DiMarzio's site or catalog any more, but they still make them. Go over to www.harmony-central.com and look at the reviews of pickups to get an idea of what they sound like.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Both the Super Distortion and Super 2 are currently listed on the DiMarzio website. There is even a sound clip of the Super Distortion from a Paul Gilbert tune.

Comment

Hmmm, the Super 2 and Super 3 haven't been in the DiMarzio catalog or online catalog for some time. I just went to their site now and see they've recently updated it and they do indeed have them listed again. Cool! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X