emg 81 vs. dimarzio tonezone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emg 81 vs. dimarzio tonezone

in direct comparison what would I win/lose with one compared to the other... oredered an emg 81 with my rr-3(that still isn't in [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and been having second thoughts towards the tonezone...

thnx

Peter

Re: emg 81 vs. dimarzio tonezone

The Tone Zone seems to have more low mids and bass than the 81. The 81 seems well-balanced, but is a tad more on the brighter side with higher mids. I'd say the 85 would be a little more comparable to the TZ.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Go for 85 - all I've got to say.

Comment

I agree, the 85 has a better overall tone and isn't as high endy as the 81! You can't go wrong.

Comment

Yeah take the emg 85 [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

EMG 85s rock man [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

the brightness of the 81 doesn't bother me, I play in A# [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I just wanted someting else than emg for a change. but it seems I got stuck with them...

Comment

Originally posted by Svart:
                in direct comparison what would I win/lose with one compared to the other... oredered an emg 81 with my rr-3(that still isn't in [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and been having second thoughts towards the tonezone...

thnx

Peter
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">for what exact style? I like the TZ because it is so friggin fat,makes any guitar sound like a les paul! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I had an 81 in my JDR and I have an 89 in my Sticker guitar. The 89 is a hybrid of the 85 & S in one humbucker. The 81 had more treble and brightness. I didn't think it was very versatile. It was great for solos and speed picking but lacked in rhythm. My 89 is an all around great pickup. It chugs lower than the 81, and solos sing just fine, and with a flick of a switch, it gives you a single coil sound.
                  If you like the sound of the 85, add to the features of your tone and try an 89.

Comment

APC
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i would go for the tonezone. i like its sound very much. i´m not a great fan of EMGs i prefer Dimarzios for my guitars.
                      if you want a sound-sample of the tonezone, than let me now.

Comment

you guys should be paying me for letting you in on the magic of APC [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I swapped out an 81 for a Tone zone today and I was blown away. My main critisism for the 81 is that its got no feel to it, just sounded dead. The tone zone has some life to it which I really like.

However it does not make my nuts shake when playing metal like the 81 did, the tone zone sounded much better but doesn't have the same effect...

Depends what genre of music you really prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                            APC
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How much is APC paying you?!Bahahahaw [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy:
                              I swapped out an 81 for a Tone zone today and I was blown away. My main critisism for the 81 is that its got no feel to it, just sounded dead. The tone zone has some life to it which I really like.

However it does not make my nuts shake when playing metal like the 81 did, the tone zone sounded much better but doesn't have the same effect...

Depends what genre of music you really prefer.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey bro put a ceramic magnet in the tone zone and i guarantee your NUTS will do more than shake! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X