Can OFR be put on FR Pro guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can OFR be put on FR Pro guitar?

At this time I have FR Pro on my guitar and I've seen tons of positive reviews on OFR.

So tell, can I replace them without drilling and wood chiselling?

Is there really such a huge differnce between OFR and FR pro?

Thanks.

Re: Can OFR be put on FR Pro guitar?

It's not impossible, but there are a couple of things to consider.

1) the backroute - The lo-pro floyds do not have the string lock screws that stick out the back of the guitar. While the "tail" of the saddle does stick out, it is shorter than the OFR string lock screws. You may have to lengthen the route.

2) baseplate routing - this is more or less a cosmetic issue, but most newer lo-pro floyds have more of an angular shape to their baseplates, whereas the OFR and Schaller Floyds are squared.

3) spring block - Most OFRs are delivered as if it were assumed for a top-mounted tremolo. Therefore the spring block (aka the sustain block) may be too long. Make sure you either measure for the right block, or just use the old block.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Phew [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thanks for the explanation. What about the difference between those two? And why OFR is better than Pro, since pro things are considered to be at the top (thrivial, I know)?

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say one is particularly better than another design-wise. It's all about preference. Some people like the Pro tremolo. Just like some people like Kahlers, or the JT-6. Material-wise it has been stated that the licensed pros (remember, Floyd Rose does make a pro version of the tremolo themselves) are of a poorer quality of metal. But that also depends on who is making it. Now as to what are the affects of this poorer quality of metal, you'll have to aask others. I'm one of those guys who always replaces the JT-6's with either a Schaller Floyd Rose or an Original Floyd Rose.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Jackson's JT-580 LP is a copy of FR Pro, right?

Of what quaility is it, comparing it to:
          1. JT-6
          2. FR Pro (Floyd Rose product)

Thanks.

Comment

I would say it is of better quality than the JT-6, but not quite as good as the original or pro model. I wouldn't bother replacing a pro model with an OFR-the only difference is really going to be where the string locks are. Unless for some reason the additional height of the OFR is appealing to you. I would equate it to the difference between a 4 door and 2 door model of the same car-basically the same thing with a slightly different look.

Comment

I went the opposite way. I had an OFR on my old Stratocaster, and put a FR PRO on it. Going FR PRO->OFR should require no modification to the guitar. The statement about the block is true. The saddle string lock statement is NOT true however. The distance from the front edge of the OFR to the end of the low E one is about 7.25mm. And from the FR PRO front edge to the rear is about 6.75mm (roughly, both). Also, string width at the saddles is about 5.25mm FR PRO and 5.5mm OFR.

Both trems are great, the best in my opinion. It's just personal preference. I like a low profile tremolo so the Floyd Rose PRO is perfect. But I played the OFR for many years with no problems. The OFR does have better "flutter", if that is something you like.

Comment

Working...
              X