Strings popping out of JT580LP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings popping out of JT580LP.

I have a 2000 DK2 with the old version of the JT580LP, and the past few years I've had problems with it releasing strings from the clamp, which is becoming progressively worse. It's gotten to the point that the floyd can barely hold in the G, B and high E strings, and it is not really all that playable.

Now, I cut the ball ends off cleanly with cutters, put them in straight and angle them a little bit along the edge towards the neck, and then I clamp it shut fairly tight. I've tried tightening fully, and putting them in looser. The result is always the same, the damn things pop out at the bridge... I even tried many string brands. I have 10-52s in D by the way.

What on earth could be wrong? I removed the string clamps and took a look at them, they seemed to be perfectly fine to me. Do you think that ordering a new set might be the answer? Perhaps for some reason they're slippery... I'm a little skeptical.

The end answer of course would be to replace the floyd, but this floyd has a satin chrome finish, as does all the hardware on the guitar, so I really don't want to have to replace it with black or regular chrome and spoil the looks. The trem otherwise is quite fine for me. What could be wrong? :O

It almost sounds like the saddles have word grooves in them... But man Ive gotta tell you, Ive had alot of JT508LP's and Ive NEVER had that problem. The satin one you have is mostlikley a Takeuchi model which is even better that the other ones. Just look at the saddles where the strings are being pushed against by the blocks and see if there are grooves... thats really the only cause I could possibly think of!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Are you or were using coated strings? Its possible there MAY be a slight build up of coating (very unlikely but I wouldn't rule it out if you do use coated strings). There could be some stuff in the saddles as well even if you don't see it. The only other thing I can think of is the screw you use to tighten the block may be stripped or something and it isn't going in all the way.

Comment

It's a pretty clever idea that it could be the coating, but it couldn't be that in my case, since I've been just using regular ol' EB and D'Addarios. I'm really at a loss what it could be! I'll just go ahead and order some new string holding blocks, and see how it goes. It's a really nice guitar otherwise, but I don't even dare play it recently.

Comment

Sounds like your string blocks are either not seated properly, or are worn out.
          Also, take care not to crank them down too tight. You could crack the saddle or strip the lock bolts.
          -Rick

Comment

Examine the square shaped pits in the saddles. You know, the hole where you drop in the string block. Are they clean?, free of obstacles? Are they un-damaged, no burrs?
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
            X