Building My Own. . .(pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building My Own. . .(pic heavy)

looks awesome. i want to try to refinsh a body.

how hard is it to do it? and how do you make it even? the layers i mean?

[ May 10, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: MichaelMadeja ]

Re: Building My Own. . .(pic heavy)

Nice job bro,be sure to post the finished product!

Comment

Great job! I imagine how exciting it must be to see two different parts merge into a guitar. It looks killer so far!!

Comment

well, according to stew mac, there should be 10 coats of lacquer under the final polish, then the actual paint itself. I started using car paint, but messed that up horrible, so no i am using a general purpose spray can. you just spray down a coat, let it dry, do some sanding, and repeat.

ive been gtting a little bit of orange peel here and there, but nothing a little 400 grit wet sanding cant handle.

thanks for the comments, i shall keep this thread updated

Comment

Looking good bro, can't wait to see it!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by bobvex:
            well, according to stew mac, there should be 10 coats of lacquer under the final polish, then the actual paint itself. I started using car paint, but messed that up horrible, so no i am using a general purpose spray can. you just spray down a coat, let it dry, do some sanding, and repeat.

ive been gtting a little bit of orange peel here and there, but nothing a little 400 grit wet sanding cant handle.

thanks for the comments, i shall keep this thread updated
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hmm, so your just making layers out of spray paint ? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

what's the name of the spray paint you use?

and how many layers are you making, and are you adding anything more to it? a clear coat to protect it?

sorry to sway your thread, but i really want to try something like this!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
              hmm, so your just making layers out of spray paint ? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

what's the name of the spray paint you use?

and how many layers are you making, and are you adding anything more to it? a clear coat to protect it?

sorry to sway your thread, but i really want to try something like this!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i forgot the name, but its available at any hardware store. Just good qrality, gloss white is what i am using. The i have some stew mac clear gloss lacquer to procect it. the some fine guitar polish, then swirl remover. Pick up a stew Mac catalog www.stewmac.com and it gives a step by step finishing flow chart.

regarding the layers, im just doing enough layers so that is it flat, i had a few spots where the actual wood grain showed through a little bit. so i had to fill that up with paint. . .

Comment

building guitars sound fun, maybe i should try it someday when I know enough about guitars..

cheers [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Building My Own. . .(pic heavy)

last month i got a hold of a DK2 neck and a rhoads body. I decided to build my own guitar and make it up to my specs. I made it into a "Alexi" rhoads. I messed up the paint twice on it, thus having to strip it and redo it. The wood work was done professionally, but other than that, it is all me. Some pics.

thats the neck and body before i started working.

heres after the woodwork was finished

and new paintjob by myself (still not done)

It'll look like this when its all done, only with chrome hardware

Comment

Just a little tip,do with it what you will but I would consider using much more than 10 coats of nitro if that's what you're going with,more like 25-30 coats or more ...the stuff out of a spray can goes on really thin and takes a long time to build up a decent protective coat.
                    Looks cool so far,keep us posted! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

bobvex, we have a bit in common so here's one that I did a while back. The body I used was from a Charvel Avenger. It had a neck pickup(single coil) that I also filled and routed into so I could put a 24 fretter on it. Tone control and switch openings were also plugged.

I also shaved about 3/4" off the bottom part of the V and made the access to the upper frets much easier by removing a bit of the body in that area. On the back I actually did a step in the body where the neck attaches to give more access to that area because the Avenger bodies are so thick there.

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

It's probably Krylon spray paint...that's what we used to use at work and what I used in art classes last year.

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well when i told the guy i wanted a cut out for upper frets, i brought in 2 pictures ^^that one, and a Pic of alexi Laihos ESP RV-350 AL, and he kind of did a hybrid between the two. the heel is also cut back, so it doesnt stick out as far.
                          the apints has been giving me hell at first but i wrestled with it and finally got it going. Im thinking about getting it signed by Alexi tonight at the gig, under the lacquer [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          my other RX10D is.

Comment

Awesome.. Any more pictures of either of the project guitars (bobvex's or budman68's)?

Did you get it signed Bobvex? What'd Alexi think of the guitar if he saw it?

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed:
                              Did you get it signed Bobvex? What'd Alexi think of the guitar if he saw it?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">nah i didnt bring it, it was raining, and the paint wasnt completely dry yet, and i didnt wasnt to fuck it up again. .

Comment

Working...
                              X