Fret leveler - which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret leveler - which one?

Which type of fret leveling files would you recommend? I am looking at Stewart-MacDonalds and they've got at least three types. Have you any experience or recommendations?

Here's the links to the three types:

Wood handle

steel tube

Diamond plates

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Fret leveler - which one?

i have the metal leveller, and i also use a couple of mill files as well (one 10" and one 6").

you'll also want to get their crowning file as well.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Metal leveller = steel tube thing? (i guess that it is).

Yes, a crowning file (dual grit diamond) is on my list already + tons of other stuff. It's gonna be expensive! But i'm in guitar tech mode at the moment and i need a lot of tools.

/Henrik
      Henrik

Comment

you don't really need a whole ton of tools, though.. for frets, get a few mill and crowning files and a few straightedges of differing sizes, and you're good to go. you'll also want to stock up on razor blades; i go through them often.

what i use for a fret job:

masking tape
        6", 3" metal straight edge rulers and a razor blade (to help find high/low frets in the upper register)
        sharpie marker
        mill file
        crowning file
        320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 grit sandpaper
        0000 grade steel wool
        buffing wheel
        linseed oil (for the fretboard when i'm all done)

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I made my own fret files. I have a 6" and 3" smooth mill file I ground the handles off of and glued to wooden bases. To crown the frets I took a 3 corner file, removed the file on and rounded the edges and put a piece of surgical tubing on the handle for a more confortable grip.

Comment

OK, i'm still thinking hard as to what to order. Your replies helped a lot. My list is big because i'm fixing up a YJM Strat at the same time, so... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I need the theory so i'm thinking about getting these two books (Erlewine):

- Guitar Player Repair Guide
            - Fretwork Step By Step

And then i think i'll order these tools (all the small stuff i have already):

- Fret Rocker
            - Dual-grit Diamond Fret File (crowning)
            - Steel tube or Diamond Fret Levelers

About making my own files.... Normally i'm a DIY guy, but this fret dressing thing is new to me and i finally WANT to learn it. I often wanted to learn it but hesitated because of the chance of ruining something.
            So i want to focus on the fret job and not worry about making my own tools. He he, call me chicken, but right now i need the "security" of professional made tools. I truly respect you guys for making it yourself.

Corbstrat: $250 for a refret is cheap! Around here it's more like $500-$600 [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

/Henrik
            Henrik

Comment

You should have atleast three junk necks you can practice refretting on before you move onto a neck that you don't want to mess up. Refret the junk necks as many times as possible. When the slots are worn, practice compression and epoxy fretting.

also, do some investigation for the tools you plan to buy and your fretting supplies. Stew-Mac is far from the best deal in town.

Comment

henrik, don't bother with the fret rocker. instead, get their string action gauge - you can also use that as a reliable fret rocker!

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                  You should have atleast three junk necks you can practice refretting on before you move onto a neck that you don't want to mess up. Refret the junk necks as many times as possible. When the slots are worn, practice compression and epoxy fretting.

also, do some investigation for the tools you plan to buy and your fretting supplies. Stew-Mac is far from the best deal in town.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some of my tools I use were purchased from Home Depot... and some were Stew Mac. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As Jim mentioned, the most important thing to do other than get tools is to practice on JUNK necks. Do NOT try your first fretjob or level on your '83 charvel strathead... find some under $100 junk guitars at the local pawnshop and fix em up.

Pete

Comment

Refretting is phase 2 in my learning plan. First phase i'll have to master is "simple" fret dressing. I have thought about the junk neck idea and now i'm certain. I've got to go find a couple of worn out POS guitars for no money. Yehaa! Cheap G.A.S ! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim, as far as StewMac and prices... i'm from Denmark and StewMac has 1)a site, 2)handles international orders, 3)takes VISA, 4)very thorough site with everything pictured. That's important when sittin' thousands of miles away staring at a screen.

sully, that gauge won't fit/span three frets both at say fret 2 and fret 12 will it? I think that is the smart thing about the Rocker - that you can turn it and still make it only span three frets no matter where you are on the neck...

Off topic note: in the 1½ years i've been on this board i've never seen a thread started on this subject [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

/Henrik
                    Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                      sully, that gauge won't fit/span three frets both at say fret 2 and fret 12 will it? I think that is the smart thing about the Rocker - that you can turn it and still make it only span three frets no matter where you are on the neck...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">it will at the 12th, it may not at fret 2 ( i think it does, but it's not with me now), but that's also where your 6" straightedge (which you probably already have) comes in.

sully

[ May 10, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You would be surprised at the fretting supplies you can get from your local dealers. Just find out who gets parts and strings from Martin. They offer the best fretwire with the widest variety of tang widths and many tools through their parts and accessories catalog. Many non-Martin guitar dealers order from this catalog for cheap darco strings and various store supplies.

Comment

Yeah, you really do not need a lot of tools. I was going to refret a Carvin that I had but decided to take it somewhere and get it done. After checking around and finding that the cheapest price was 250, I changed my mind again and decided to do it myself. I actually got quite a few different tools so the tools cost me about what a refret would have. I now do refret jobs on the side now, and at 200 a pop, I'm glad I learned. It's really pretty easy to do, just time consuming.

Comment

Dang, I would be floored if someone quoted $500 for a fret job. I never knew 250 was cheap. I guess living close to Nashville where everone has a guitar/repair shop. It tends to drive prices down.

Comment

Don't tell anyone, but fret dressing is SUPER FUCKING EASY. If you can use sandpaper, you can dress frets. Crowning takes a little practice, but my entire fret dress instruction consisted of "This is a neck. This is a fret leveller. This is a crowning file.... Good luck!" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Start with a scrap neck if you can (those $50 LP copies on eBay are really good for this), because by the time you're done you should be able to dress anything.

Total refrets on the other hand... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] Thy hurt my brain. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X