Jesus! I lived with it for 7 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus! I lived with it for 7 years!

Bought a Rhoads Pro back in ´97 (it's from ´93). Great axe with a killer super slim neck. But i never quite liked the way it intonated. The G string never intonated correctly. The saddle on the Floyd bridge simply didn't have enough adjusting area. It has been pushed all the way towards the back, but most of the times it wasn't enough. I have always had other guitars (plenty of Rhoads') so i just switched guitars when it bothered me too much.

Then after reading some guitar repair stuff the other day, it dawned on me and i said to myself: you've tried many things to fix this guitar but have you ever considered looking closer at the lock nut? The hell i hadn't! Stupid! Maybe the G string didn't fret correctly at the edge of the nut, but rather someplace further towards the headstock, resulting in a too long distance from nut to 12th fret or bridge. I was right!! I filed/sanded the Floyd nut down in the correct angle on the G string and the problem is GONE! Saddle is back in a good position and the guitar intonates 100%.

I feel stupid and happy at the same time. Just thought i'd share it with you. Maybe some of you have the same problem with a sloppy made locking nut. Very often the metal locking nut also makes open strings buzz/rattle or sound dead or muted. File or sand the string groves in the mother to fix this. I hate them nuts because of this, but i'm slowly learning the hard way to shut'em up! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rock on! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Jesus! I lived with it for 7 years!

Thanks for sharing the experience! I don't need it right now, but I'll keep it mind if I ever have an intonation problem.

Comment

Working...
    X