Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J-90c vs J-80c & Dimarzio Breed humbucker... for Savatage tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-90c vs J-80c & Dimarzio Breed humbucker... for Savatage tone?

Hi all... just wondering if anyones got opinions regarding J-90c pickup?

At the moment I have two Charvels:
    a) 3DR with a J-80c humbucker & a J-100s single coil
    b) Predator with a Steve Via Dimarzio Breed humbucker & J-200r single coil

Anyhoo Im think of restoring the Predator to it's original J-90c & J-200r setup (I bought it with the Breed installed and have never heard a J-90c).

Is this a good idea? What might be the best humbucker of the 3 considering Im a massive Criss Oliva (Savatage) fan?

Even though it is not much help, I know he prefered Bartolini pickups. I am not sure which models and what would get you close to that sound.

Comment

Yeah Ive read that too but can never seem to find any non-bass Bartolinis

Comment

Who the hell is Steve Via? Kidding...

I've never been a big fan of the Breed. More of an EVO fan myself. The Breed has a bit less output. More vintage sounding than the EVO...

But I just bought a Charvel Model 2 with a J-90C. I must say, I LOVE that pickup. Seems to be great at high gain stuff. Crunch like crazy...

I have not heard a J-80C so I don't know how that compairs to the 90...

But if your trying to nail someone elses tone, there is much more to it that just the pickup. There is the amp, whatever pedals he runs through, what kind of cables he uses, speakers in his cabnets, Tubes in his heads (6L6's-EL34's, whatever), what kind of guitars he uses (Neckthrough, bolt on, set neck) what kind of picks he uses, ect. There are many factors that determine tone. First and foremost, his fingers. How he holds the pick, how he palm mutes, how he grips the neck, how much pressure he puts on the strings. I feel most tone is in the fingers. So to try to nail someones tone is a lesson in futility, IMHO...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
          I feel most tone is in the fingers.
          True, its like when I think my solos are gonna sound just as good as my friends when I plug into his amp... wrong!

So would you say the J-90c picks out pitch harmonics, ghost notes etc better than the Breed?

Comment

Zeddicus,
            The 90 seems very sensitive to pinch harmonics. They seem to fly out of the pickup. It's been a while since I've owned a DBK, the only guitar I've had with Breeds, seems to me they were easy with those too. Maybe I just have it down. Harmonics do seem to sream off the 90. But I don't know if it's "better" than the Breed for that. I wish I had a guitar with Breeds so I could A/B them for you...

Comment

Haha, youre prob just really good at em :P

Hmmm, Id hate to change the Breed to a J-90c only to find out it eats balls so I was thinking of comparing the Breed to my J-80c and if I liked the J-80c better then Id swap the Breed for a J-90c as you wouldnt think it would be that much different to the J-80c... make sense?
              Problem is the guitar with the Breed isnt set up cos it needs new saddles arrrrrgk!

Comment

The J90C / J200R combo kicks ass in my Charvel Fusion Deluxe. I'd liken the tone to a Jake E Lee "Bark at the Moon" tone (flame proof suit on).

I also have a J90C in a 1992 RR1, but with the boost circuit, it's more of a Stryper "Soldier's Under Command" tone.

Either way, having the original pickup is nice. Just make sure you get a Made in USA J90C, I heard the other ones were so-so. I'm not sure how to identify which is a USA pickup, someone else will need to chime in.

Comment

I would check out the Breed, when it's playable. You might really dig it...

That's a good idea to A/B it with the 80. Since you have one...

I am pretty good at pinch harmonics. Wish I was better at actually playing the guitar. But I can make it scream...

Comment

Criss had an endorsement deal with Bartolini but never used their pick ups. If you check every guitar Criss has ever played, you'll find Jackson/Charvel pickups in them. I do have one of Criss' guitars here and it's a J-90C in the bridge.

Comment

I've never played a J80C but would love to hear someones input on comparison to a J90C.. which I HAVE played extensively. I fuckin' LOVE EM!! The best comparison I can make for the J90C is that it is damn close in tone/feel to a Duncan Distortion... only with more balls. Harmonics jump out of it easier too. I have a J80 in my King V, but not the ceramic version. It sounds damn good too, but lacks the balls to the wall feel of the J90C.

Oh, and on the topic of USA vs import.. I believe (from what I've been told anyway) that if you flip over the pickup and look at the underside.. there will either be a Jackson logo imprinted into the metal or a Charvel logo. If it says Charvel, its from an import model series guitar. If it says Jackson, it's a true USA model. And I have heard there is a HUGE difference in tone but I cannot comment as I've not played the import version. Hope this helps, or perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself can comment/correct me
                      - Adam

Comment

I have a J90c in my RR PRO...I agree, harmonics are crazy in that pickup! Especially with JE1200 boost, which thickens the sounds . I'm getting a J80c next week to put it in the neck position...can't wait!

The easiest way to tell if a pickup is USA made or an import version, is to look under it:

USA looks like that from under it:

(Can also be Charvel logo engraved)

And here's the import:

Both of them can be covered or non-covered. If they are covered, USA ones has big, oversized cover and embossed Jackson logo. Import version is the same size as EMGs (fits into normal pickup ring) and has a silkscreened logo.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by piranhaguy2002a View Post
                          I do have one of Criss' guitars here and it's a J-90C in the bridge.
                          Cool... what one, and howd you get it? Could you please upload some pics?

Oh and thanx to everyone else for the input... sounds like the J-90c might be the way to go

Comment

The USA J-90c will have the logo on the baseplate sometimes a Made in USA sticker too.There is a big difference IMO the import ones will fit in a standard ring the USA one will not.The USA J-90c is a very ballsy harmonic rich pickup.
                            I love the J series pickups all of them.The J-80 is a distortion class pickup just less output than the J-90c.
                            Look in the catalog scans there is a section on the J series pickups.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeddicus View Post
                              Cool... what one, and howd you get it? Could you please upload some pics?

Oh and thanx to everyone else for the input... sounds like the J-90c might be the way to go

Comment

Working...
                              X