No announcement yet.

what kind of adapter for PC recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of adapter for PC recording?

Isn't it like 1/8 to 1/4? Also, does walmart have it or do I have to go to radioshack? I had something before back when I was trying cakewalk, but I lost it. I couldn't really figure out cakewalk so I got N-track studio, it's pretty complicated too. Maybe I just don't know anything about recording.. Does the adapter need to be stereo or mono, or does it matter? Thanks in advance.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Re: what kind of adapter for PC recording?

none of us know anything about your computer or sound card.

why dont you tell us a little about both

Comment

Typical SoundBlaster and compatible cards have a stereo Line In jack, which is 1/8". You'd need a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adaptor, and Wal-Mart does carry them.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My card is Soundblaster Live, do I plug into the Line IN or the Microphone in???
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Light Blue. Everyone's going to a standardized color coding scheme (finally).

Here's how it breaks down:
          Audio Line-In - Light Blue
          Audio Line-Out - Lime Green
          Digital Monitor/Flat Panel - White
          Microphone - Pink
          Parallel port - Burgundy
          PS2 keyboard - Purple
          PS2 Mouse - Green
          Speaker out/subwoofer - Orange
          Right-to-Left Speaker - Brown
          USB - Black
          Video Out - Yellow

You should use the Line In because the Microphone input has a preamp on it which will distort (in a bad way).

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Newc,
            Thanks a million bro, now all I gotta do is wait for my V-amp2 from onlinestagegear, and I'm all set. I tried my line out from the back of my amplifier and it sounded like poop.

Comment

Also, which one is the line in?

Comment

I don't know why they even put a Line Out on a Guitar amp - only Bass amps can do it correctly (for that matter I can't understand why a Bass amp's Line Out works but a Guitar amp's doesn't) [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Thanks Newc, very helpful as always [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  I think I figured something out, I ran a cable from my headphone jack on my amp to the line in on my soundcard. Doesn't sound too bad, I think the V-Amp will be better, though.

Comment

One thing - try to get a cable/adapter rig that doesn't hang a big ol' plug off your soundcard's input. Those solder joints aren't very strong, and you'd be putting a very effective lever on it. If you can't find a stereo 1/8" to stereo 1/4" cable, get a 1/8" to 1/8" and put the adapter on the V-Amp side.

Comment

Only problem with the headphone jack to the card is if they're electronically mismatched, you'll melt the headphone circuit or the card.

Newc

Comment

Then, what is the right way? When I run line out from my amp, it sounds awful, all kinds of hissing and stuff. Do I just need to wait for the V_Amp? A

Comment

I guess "micing the amp" would be the correct way, huh?

Comment

Working...
                          X