PS-4/JT-500 trem problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS-4/JT-500 trem problems...

So I buy this PS-4 a year ago that's been ridden hard and put away wet...the price was right (under $100), so I was all about it.

Today was "clean it up"-day...tossed the strings, WD-40/toothbrush treatment to the trem, rubbed out/Scratch-X'd the body, scrubbed/oiled the fretboard - all was lookin' good! Put the thing back together, and the G string just won't stay in the bridge...soooo...thinking "use a bigger hammer", I CRANK on the screw and SCHNAP! - the saddle cracks! UGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Question - where can I find a G string saddle for a JT-500 trem, how hard is it to replace, and, lastly, would it just be easier to buy a whole unit (JT-500 or, say, other JT trems that are compatible - need help here!) off ebay and swap it in?

Thanks! - Anthony
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Find a JT-590 to replace it with.
    The JT-500 is a piece of crap.
    If you really like the guitar, spend the money and put a real Schaller Floyd in it. An OFR will not fit in the route properly, but a Schaller will fit perfectly.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Find a JT-590 to replace it with.
      The JT-500 is a piece of crap.
      If you really like the guitar, spend the money and put a real Schaller Floyd in it. An OFR will not fit in the route properly, but a Schaller will fit perfectly.
      Cool, that works. I will probably be selling it to pay for other parts hitting the credit card next month, so I'm thinking JT-590. Thanks a million for the info!!!

Comment

Well, as it turns out, I'm gonna sell the thing. I found an OFR saddle to drop in...looks a little out of place, but I wasn't going to invest $50+ into a guitar that I'm only going to get $200+ for...

Close call on the tension screw-thing clearing the route, but it holds tune/intonation very well!

Comment

Working...
        X