Need help deciding which pickups to use in my LP Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding which pickups to use in my LP Custom

I currently have the 81/85 combo in my Les Paul Custom. I like EMG's but they are not working for me in this guitar. The guitar is heavy probably around 10 pounds. Any suggestions? I was thinking bout the Rio Grande BBQ Bucker for the brige? Anyone have good luck with a certain pickup combo for a LP Custom? I want this thing to really rock and cut through the mix.

Re: Need help deciding which pickups to use in my LP Custom

WHat type of tone are you looking for? DO you want high output distortion type pups, or lower output vintage type? Are you in standard tuning, or something different? THere will be plenty of people to chime in on this, but to get knowledgable answers, we will need some more info. I have no experience changing pups in an LP (but I will soon). In my Model 4 I have a Screamin' DEmon and it sounds fantastic for a straight rock/metal tone. My HM strat has a Dimarzio Super 3-high output and "in your face" distortion. How well they would work in a Paul, who's to say? Mahogany guitars tend to have a warmer, bassier tone, so you may want to try a pup that accentuates the higher frequencies to "cut through". As for the "rockin'" tone, I believe that come standard in LP's. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Someone posted a glowing review of the BBQ in a Les Paul in this section.
      You might also like a set of Gibsons's stock pickups - 496R and 498T.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I hated the Gibson stock pickups. I am looking for something with medium to medium/hot output. I am not a fan of super hot output pickups. The tone I am going for would be a overall great rock tone with standard tuning. Think Zakk Wylde, John Sykes, John Norum.......

Comment

maybe put the 85 in the bridge and see what you think? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Zakk uses EMGs
            Sykes uses Gibsons
            Norum - Who knows? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Duncan 59 or Screamin Demon in the bridge and Jazz in the neck?

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think I will try putting the 85 in the bridge before I do anything. I am also curious how a Custom 5 in the bridge would sound. I need a litte more output then a 59.

Does anyone here have a Custom with a favorite pikcup configuration?

Comment

i have a 85 at the bridge and a 81 at the neck in my Greco Les Paul Custom and i love it.

Comment

I have a super distortion and humbucker from hell in my les paul. Sounds fantastic, and different with that neck pickup.

Comment

I have a LP myself and was asking the same question to my instructor and a very reputable guitar shop here. Both people said go with seymour duncan; Antiquties (b/c I wanted to keep it stock looking) or the Seth Lover humbuckers. Right now its on hold but I'm considering the Seth Lover. Goodluck.
                    Also, try the Les Paul Forum. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] You'll probably have better luck there. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

My bandmate has an Evolution in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. It sounds fantastic.
                      I bet a PRS HFS in the bridge and a Vintage Bass in the neck would sound great too.

Comment

JB or duncan custom, in the bridge. IMHO JBs sound killer in heavy LPs, as for the rio's i sold a late 60's PAT# hum to someone on ebay & he told me he replaced a rio grande with my old gibby & the gibby smokes it.

Comment

Try Jim Rolph pickups.He builds some killer PAFs.All the vintage tone you could ask for.He has a excellent reputation on the Les Paul forum.
                          I talked to him on the phone and he is a down to earth kind of guy.I'm not sure his web sight is still up or not.I have a set and love 'em.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

once again i have say.

YOU WANT AN APC PICKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

probably a Felony X or Persuader Lead.

BEST PICKUPS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.adderplus.com
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                            X